Chapter Nine - Serving Time

The buzzer sound fills the concrete room. The cell door opens and Daphne steps out, dressed in orange.

She sits on the bench in front of her. "I'm surprised you came before Neal did," she says. "How are you, Peter?"

"Alright. Just came to see how you're holding up."

"I'm decent, considering the circumstances."

Peter chuckles. "Neal hasn't come yet?"

"Nope."

"Oh, I didn't exactly expect him to."

"Really? Why?"

He shrugs. "Maybe he doesn't want to see you in an orange jumpsuit behind bars."

Daphne opens her mouth to say something, but stops. She didn't exactly know how to respond to this.

"There's no update on Keller," Peter fills in. "We have no idea where he is or if he's even involved somehow."

"Nothing? That's a little worrying," she lies.

"Yeah. I feel like he would have shown up somewhere by now."

Daphne turns away. "Me too."

"Don't worry, if it's not him we'll have to look for leads elsewhere. The city is going wild over Robert Bailey's death."

"I'd imagine. Reporters are still talking about it, I think everyone's pretty spooked."

"With good reason, too. Anyone would wonder if this was an act toward just Robert or to the people of New York, so no one really knows what to expect."

"Except us."

"Except us," he nods. Peter's phone buzzes. He pulls it out of his suit pocket. "Sorry Daphne, I gotta head back to the office. I'll tell you if anything shows up."

She nods.

"Take care," he says as he exits.

"Will do."

. . . . . .

Peter walks into the office, stopping at Neal's desk. "You're here early."

"Yeah," he responds, not looking up from the paperwork on his desk.

Peter blurts out, "you haven't visited Daphne yet?"

He looks up. "Have you?"

"Yeah, I just came from there."

"No I- I haven't," he looks down again.

"Why not?"

Neal sighs. "I don't know."

"Come on-"

"I don't know, Peter."

"Is it because you don't want to see her behind bars?"

He shrugs. "Something like that."

"Or is it because you don't want to see her as a criminal?'

"Peter, if I tell you will you go away?"

Peter smirks. "Yeah maybe."

Neal sighs. He looks back at Peter. "Kate died awhile ago. Daphne came into my life. I feel like, maybe if I keep seeing her, or if I see her in pain, I could realize how much I care about her, or maybe I'll catch more feelings for her than I already have, and I just don't think I'm ready. Even if to you it seems like... I'm already trying to get her, or something." He pauses, pursing his lips. "Happy?"