Chapter Ten - The pen

It was night time. Neal waits at the entrance of the prison, leaning his back on the car. The door opens and Daphne steps out. He smiles, and she copies. She walks down the steps and jogs over to him. He brings her into a tight hug.

"Good to see you out of there," he says over her shoulder.

"Good to be out."

He releases the hug. "How does it feel?"

"The air isn't stale, the sky is clear, and I'm never going back in there, I'd say I feel alright." she replies.

"I'm sure you want to go home now."

"No shit, let's go."

He laughs, opening the car door for her.

. . . . . .

They open the front door to June's house. Daphne sighs. "I forgot how beautiful it was."

"You say that like you've been gone for years."

"Feels like it," she says, glancing around. "Where's Alden?"

"He should be around here somewhere..." Neal says, slightly confused. He adjusts a pen in his suit pocket.

"What's that?"

"Something the FBI gave me."

"They gave you a pen? You're spoiled."

"Not just any pen," he takes it out of his pocket. He clicks it.

"What kind, then?"

He smirks, and clicks it twice. The pen audibly plays back Daphne's voice, "What kind, then?"

"Ah, that kind of pen."

Neal nods, smirking. "We're using it for a case."

Daphne then asks herself if she should tell Neal about the job she was offered at the Bureau yet.

"Let's go upstairs," Neal says, interrupting her train of thought.

He leads the way up there, slowly opening the door to his apartment, letting Daphne in first. He stops for a moment, glancing toward the balcony, noticing movement. He holds his breath, seeing a figure standing out there. He identified the person immediately, even in the darkness. His stomach wrenches, and he clenches his fists in rage. He glances toward Daphne, who was oblivious as she settled in. Neal thinks fast.

"One second, I'll be right back," he says.

"Okay," she responds. Neal closes the door, but not completely. He stands behind the cracked door, hiding.

Daphne leans over the couch for a moment.

"I see you're out," spoke the figure from behind her. "Congratulations."

Daphne gasps, swiftly turning around. "Keller," she huffs, calming slightly. "I didn't expect to see you so soon."

Neal whispers to himself, "what?"

"You have no faith in me, Daphne," Keller says. "I think it's about time you give me what I want."

"God, you're impatient," she crosses her arms. "You realize I don't have it with me, right?"

"Oh I know. I'm just here to ensure I'll get it. In three days."

"You're putting me on the clock?"

"Three days isn't so bad. Besides, I got things to do, places to be. Y'know if I stick around here too long ol' Burke is gonna find out."

"So why shouldn't I call him, right now?"