Part 10

Chapter 10.

Luna and the others all ran away, leaving Adam on his own. The roar was getting closer. It sounded like a cross between a lion and bear. Whatever it was, it sounded very large and very hungry.

  Adam tried to get his hands free and escape, or at least be able to defend himself. He fumbled around and tried to find something. A sharp rock or something to cut the fabric.

  "Think, Adam, think!" He said to himself, as he beast drew near. Suddenly, he remembered the knife he brought with him. He tried to move his arm to his side and grab it. His arm hurt a little, but, he grabbed the handle of the knife. Next, he had to pull it out, and spin it around so the blade pointed upwards. This took a few moments as he dropped the knife twice. Frustration was setting in, as was panic, and he rushed as fast as he could to get the knife. Eventually he got it and with it he slowly cut the fabric from his wrists. He noticed it was quite strong, deceptively so. Once he cut himself free he rubbed his wrists and rushed out the door.

  As he did, he caught a glimpse of the beast. Mostly it's eyes. They were red, bright red, and narrowed as if it was angry. It looked directly at him and it then gave a certain look at Adam. It seemed to smile at him. For what reason was unknown, but, it seemed to be intelligent because it pointed it's tail at Adam as it smiled and then roared. It wasn't an angry roar though. Adam thought it sounded like it was saying "You are my next target!" or at least that was the impression he got anyway. It then walked off, keeping it's eyes on Adam.

  Luna and the others came out from where they were hid. Some of them were unsure what to think. The beast didn't attack. They couldn't understand why. All they understood was that with Adam here, things had changed.

  "What did you do?" Asked the Leader, as he looked at Adam.

  Putting his knife away, Adam replied, "I don't know. I'm not even sure if I did anything?" He shrugged. If they didn't know the answer, then he certainly didn't. He then stopped and thought of a simple question to ask them.

  "What do you call yourselves?" He knew he may not even get an answer, but he wanted to try.

  Luna walked towards him and answered him. The answer was unexpected, "We call ourselves, Angels."