Part 17

Chapter 17.

Adam ran towards the hill. It looked like a Camel's hump, covered in green grass. He laughed at himself as he thought about a Camel with grass on it's hump. It was a funny image and one he sorely needed in the current situation.

  The hill was fairly steep, but it wasn't too hard to walk up. Adam made his way up. He wondered if he should have put on his hiking boots instead. Looking up at the sky he thought to himself, "Ok, I shall make a mental note for later: if I ever travel in time again I must make sure I have the proper footwear." Putting his foot in front of him, he stopped. What would he discover over the other side? Would it be another creature? Or something that might be able to explain something to him about the world? Maybe he'd find a building that would have some answers, or weapons. He just didn't know. All he knew was that he had to take a chance and find out. Sitting in one place wouldn't help.

As he got up to the top of the hill, he slipped on a stone and fell forward. He landed on the ground with a thud. His right arm saved him but it became bruised and he had some trouble moving it. He then sighed and looked at the stone, it wasn't a stone at all. It was some kind of green crystal, it was sharp and it shined in the sunlight. He picked it up with a puzzled expression on his face. Why was a crystal out here?. Shrugging his shoulders, he placed it into his pocket and looked ahead of him.

  In front of him was a forest. The trees were very tall and numerous. Each of them looked like oak trees but, different. Maybe they had evolved from oak trees into a new form. The forest was very large, at least five or six miles.

  "I need to enter that forest." Said Adam, as he looked upon it, "But what if there's something in there? Or nothing at all?" A sense of urgency came over him. He HAD to find an answer. With that feeling over him he rushed down towards the forest. And towards his next course of action.

  But, on the edge of the forest, a pair of eyes watched him as he entered.