Part 12

Chapter 12.

 Adam looked at where he was. It was an old abandoned room which had a single table in the middle of the room, like the ones he saw earlier. Upon the walls were drawings of what seemed to be people and animals. None of them Adam recognised. Food was slowly being placed upon the table. Apples, pears, berries and leaves were just some of the food he saw. Some fruit and vegetables that he did not recognise was also on the table, as were meat from some unknown animal.

   A part of him was curious about this new world. Things had obviously changed since his time. For the worse, as far as he could tell. He wondered just what had happened in the intervening years. The Angels may or may not know the answers to his questions but he reasoned it would not be wise to ask them at the moment. After all, they didn't quite trust him yet and he didn't want to push them into something that might be uncomfortable for them.

  Luna walked over to him and grabbed his hand. It was soft and small, like a child's hand, and she pulled him to the table where they sat. Everyone sat down at the table, near the table or just on the floor somewhere. There was not many of them in this area. The Leader stood up and spoke.

  "I would like to welcome our new guest. He is different from us, but, he seems to be good." He began, his arms raised high, "He seems to not be one of "Them" and that is good. I am sure you all agree."

  Everyone mumbled in agreement. Adam sat silently as he listened. Who where "Them"? and what was so bad about them? He wondered if they were a rogue faction or something.

  Soon they were eating the meal. It wasn't much but after not eating for a while, and still being curious about their way of life, he ate. The leaves were cooked in a small clay pot. They looked like fig leaves or something similar. The unknown meat was wrapped in the leaves and tasted chewy and, as he noticed, like chicken as well. The fruit and vegetables were of various kinds, mostly sweet. The berries were small and red, blood red, and were smashed into a kind of soup. Adam thought it looked a bit like tomato soup.

  The mood was light and friendly. Everybody talked to each other, mostly about the days events. Adam was probably the most talked about thing, apart from the beast. Most of them were either scared, confused or curious. Or maybe it was a combination of all three. Either way, they were unsure of what Adam might do, or who he was. They would soon find out.

  It eventually went dark and everyone went to bed. Adam looked up and saw the night sky. The stars were different to what he knew them, which was understandable, and the sky still seemed as dark as ever. He mused upon one simple fact: he had actually travelled through time. A small chuckle escaped from his mouth. No one would actually believe what he saw here, no matter how truthful he was.

  "Well, that's the price a time traveller has to pay probably." He whispered to himself, as he lay down to go to sleep. He needed to get some rest. A big day was ahead of him.