Chapter 6: Coming to Terms with the Past

Cheers erupted from the room as the deal was made. In celebration, every pirate present, excluding Harry, pulled out their rum which lead to a drinking contest that was going to last all night and leave a wake of hangovers.

Mal sat with Uma and Gil, the latter chatting happily about his latest theft. She tuned him out in favor of looking around the room, catching a glimpse of a hook as it disappeared through the entrance.

Curious, she made up an excuse and slipped out of the Chip Shoppe unnoticed. Looking around she spotted Harry sitting at the edge of a nearby dock.

Mal slowly made her way towards him, cautious of his infamous temper.

"I'm not gonna bite ya lass..." He spoke softly, keeping his face turned away.

Mal was slightly shocked to find she had missed him as her heart clenched at the pain etched into his voice.

She sat next to him and joked weakly, "It used to be your favorite thing to do, the hickeys that I always had were proof of that. I was like a canvas."

He snorted but otherwise remained silent. It put her on edge, Harry had never been a serious person, always preferring to be playful, which told her he was genuinely hurt and not faking.

"Look at me," she whispered, turning his head gently. His eyeliner was smudged and left proof of his pain in the form of tear tracks on his face.

"Oh Hooky..." She mumbled as she began wiping his face in an attempt to clean it.

"You left me here Mal," He croaked out, "You didn't say nothin', just up and left to be miserable while ya paraded 'round with the king!"

Mal, unusually tender, brushed her thumb underneath his eyes, "Look, I have no excuses but I was wrong...and..I'm really sorry for leaving you sea biscuit."

"Don't call me by those nicknames o' yers unless ya mean what I think ya do."

Mal let herself get lost in his icy blue eyes for a moment as her hand moved to caress his cheek.

"I realize now how much I missed you," Mal giggled before sniffling as her eyes became watery, "I've really missed you Hooky."

Harry thought about getting mad and reprimanding her and opened his mouth to do so when she threw herself at him, arms wrapping around his neck tightly.

He closed his mouth, his eyes following as more tears formed and opted instead to hold Mal against him, grip as strong as hers, and admitted to himself that he had missed this.

He squeezed her as she cried into his shoulder, afraid she'd leave again.