Five

Throughout the rest of the day, Jack and Ralph hardly spoke. Jack didn't know what to say during their free period or lunch. Ralph, however, was feeling too tired and sick to try to engage in any conversation. He answered his teachers with as less words as possible, and even then they came out slow. Jack was tempted to go to the office to phone Ralph's aunt for him, but decided against it when he realized that she must be working.

"Can I come over?" Jack asked Ralph as they stood at their lockers. The last bell had already rung, and they needed to get on the bus soon if they didn't want to walk in the rain.

"Sure, but I don't think I'm going to be awake the whole time you're over." Ralph shrugged as he shut his locker door.

"That's okay, I don't mind." Jack smiled.

They rushed from the front doors out to their bus. The rain pelted them, soaking their hair and dampening their clothes. When they sat down, Jack gently took Ralph's hand in his own. His own milky skin contrasting ever so slightly at Ralph's less pale skin.

"You scared me today." Ralph confessed, his eyes meeting Jack's. "That's why I was upset earlier."

"Scared you?" Jack raised an eyebrow at him. Ralph nodded his head.

"I thought your dad might have hit you or something." Ralph looked down, feeling a blush creep onto his cheeks. "I thought you were really hurt."

Jack felt his stomach do flips. He hadn't really questioned why Ralph was really upset, but he didn't think it would be out of worry. Though it made him happy in a way, knowing that Ralph cared for his wellbeing.

"Hey, look at me." Jack said softly, cupping Ralph's cheek and making him look up. "I'm okay. I promise."

Ralph's cheeks burned a darker pink as he looked up into Jack's eyes. If he weren't on the bus right now, he might have kissed him. "O-okay." He stammered. Jack brushed his thumb against Ralph's cheek. He smiled at the fair boy, knowing what he was thinking about.

Jack drew his hand away from Ralph's face and let it rest in his own lap. Ralph was the first to look away because he felt embarrassed for looking at Jack for so long.

"Merridew!" The bus driver called.

"I'm going to Ralph's sir! I told you that!" Jack called back. The bus pulled forward with a deep grumble. The rest of the students talked loudly over each other, ignoring the drivers pleas to get them to quiet down.

"Monroe!" The driver called, the two boys climbed out of the bus in a rush. Ralph knew his aunt wouldn't be home to make dinner for another three hours, but that didn't bother him. He enjoyed the idea of having Jack and him being the only ones home.

"What homework did we have?" Jack asked as they walked to the door.

"Psychology if you didn't finish it in class." Ralph replied. He was the only one out of the two who actually used his agenda to write his assignments in. "Unless your english teacher gave you guys an assignment today. Mine didn't." He leaned over to untie his shiny black shoes. Jack didn't untie his though, he just slipped them off of his feet.

"If my teacher did, I don't remember." Jack shrugged his shoulders. He, unlike Ralph, didn't worry much about his grades. He was happy with any passing grade. Whereas Ralph would be upset with anything below an eighty.

"Are you thirsty?" Ralph asked as he led the tall boy into the kitchen.

"A bit yeah." Jack said. Ralph opened a cabinet and reached for a glass on one of the higher shelves. He stood on his toes and sighed quietly at the height of the cupboard. Jack saw his struggle and went to his aid. He gently put his hand on Ralph's waist and reached for the glass. Ralph had stopped trying to reach for the glass and let Jack bring them down. He turned around, his face about the height of Jack's chest. Jack looked down at Ralph, smirking as he set down the two glasses on the countertop next to them.

"Thanks." Ralph said softly, his eyes flickering between Jack's eyes and his lips. Jack squeezed his hip gently and leaned forward, capturing Ralph's lips in a kiss. They let their eyes shut as they moved their lips in sync. Ralph wound his arms around Jack's neck, deepening the kiss. Jack cupped Ralph's cheek and slid it into Ralph's wavy hair, gently gripping the ends. Ralph's hands slid down to Jack's chest, gently pulling him closer by his uniform shirt.

Jack pulled away from the kiss and helped Ralph pull himself onto the counter. Jack stood between his legs and attached his lips to Ralph's throat. Ralph tilted his head to the side and rested his hands on Jack's broad shoulders. Ralph bit onto his bottom lip, blushing as a small groan managed to escape him. Jack sucked a hickey into Ralph's skin before pulling away.

"Jack?" Ralph breathed. Jack hummed in response. "What are we?"

Jack felt his stomach drop. He hadn't thought much about this subject. Well, he had, but he didn't think they would need a label. They were best friends, but they kissed? They weren't dating, not really. They hadn't gone on any dates. Would Ralph want to be with him? Or would he reject the idea of a relationship? He wanted to know this himself, but he didn't want to risk asking for a relationship only for it to ruin what he and Ralph already had.

Ralph looked at Jack, waiting patiently for an answer. He could feel his heart rate pick up at the thought of Jack lashing out at him. "You don't have to answer me. I'm sorry." He whispered, looking down at his fingers. Jack placed his hands over Ralph's.

"Do you want to get dinner with me Friday?" Jack asked him. "I know that's not really an answer, but-"

"Sure." Ralph said, a small smile appearing on his lips. Jack sighed with relief. "Can I get down now so I can get us something to drink?"

"How about instead of that, I get them and you go lay on the couch. You look exhausted." Jack suggested.

Ralph mumbled an, "Okay"and got down from the counter. He sauntered to the living room and turned on his aunt's television set. It took a moment for the picture to come in, but when it did, Ralph felt a little happier. The program playing was The Munsters, one of Ralph's favorites. He plopped down on the couch and curled his legs up to his chest as he leaned his body onto the arm.

Jack came in holding the two glasses filled with orange juice. He handed one glass to Ralph as he sat down on the couch next to him. Ralph kept his eyes on the show he was watching, but Jack couldn't pay attention to it. Not because it was boring, but because he couldn't tear his eyes from the handsome boy next to him. His eyes followed the line of Ralph's jaw up to his wavy blonde hair. He watched Ralph's adam's apple bob when he swallowed his drink.

Ralph saw Jack staring at him. "Why are you looking at me?" He asked softly. Jack looked away, feeling a blush dust his cheeks.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to zone out." Jack scratched the back of his neck nervously. Ralph just smiled at him.