Nine

Jack's heart pounded as he opened his window. It was nearly four in the morning and he had to be over to Ralph's before his father woke up. The latter he had set up earlier was still next to his window. He adjusted his backpack and gently eased himself onto it and climbed down with ease. He pulled it down and leant it against the house in its appropriate spot. He smiled as he made his escape.

It was only a twenty minute walk, but the chilly air made it seem like it was going on forever. The stars were still out, along with the bright half moon. There wasn't a cloud in the sky, making the sight even more beautiful. Jack shivered, rubbing his hands together and walking faster.

Jack, knowing where the key to the front door was hidden, let himself into Ralph's house and slipped off his shoes. It was warm in the house, making him shudder as the cold slowly ebbed away. He crept up to Ralph's room to find the boy sitting at his desk. His feet were propped up on the desk and an opened book was held in his hands. His blonde hair was a mess, probably from Ralph pushing it out of his eyes so much.

Ralph looked up from his book and smiled at his boyfriend. "Good morning." He said quietly.

"Did you even sleep yet?" Jack asked. Ralph shook his head and marked the page in his book before closing it. He got out of his seat and stretched out his sore limbs.

"We have a couple hours before we go." He said, climbing into his perfectly made bed. "Come lay with me."

Jack climbed into bed with his boyfriend, allowing him to cuddle up to him. Jack rested his hand on his lower back, rubbing small patterns with his thumb. Ralph nuzzled his head into Jack's neck, breathing in his cologne. Jack shivered at Ralph's light breathing.

Jack bit his bottom lip, raising his free hand to tilt Ralph's face up. He softly placed a kiss on his lips, enjoying the warm feeling he got in his chest. What started out as a regular kiss, soon got heated. Ralph found himself on top of Jack, leaving open mouthed kissed down his neck.

***

After well deserved showers, the boys made breakfast for themselves and Anastasia. Well, Jack made breakfast and Ralph watched him from the table. They were quiet for the most part, only sharing glances and blushy smiles. Once Anastasia made her way downstairs, the food was being plated by Jack while Ralph poured drinks.

"Boys," She said to them. "Do I need to buy condoms?" This statement made Ralph tense up, his face turning an embarrassing shade of red.

"Uh, I um." His voice came out squeaky. "I think I can get them myself, Aunt Annie." Jack stood silently, averting his eyes from Anastasia's.

"I made breakfast." Jack offered awkwardly. "It's just eggs and sausage, but um, yeah."

Anastasia sat down, amused with the boys' uneasiness around her. She accepted the food that the boys made then quickly got her things together for the hour long car ride.

***

It was rather warm for mid November. The temperature was well over seventy degrees and the boys were almost tempted to wear shorts, however Anastasia wouldn't allow them to do so because she believed that the temperature might not be the same in the city. She was correct, however it was only the slightest bit chillier in the city.

"Call the home phone if anything happens okay?" Anastasia told them in a caring tone. "Don't do anything that I wouldn't do." They bid Anastasia goodbye and made their way towards the protest.

When they approached the protest, they had not expected what they saw. They thought there would be a handful of people, hand made picket signs, maybe some chants to say. They were very wrong. It looked less like a protest and more so like a parade. There were over a hundred people there on mainstreet. Music was being blasted through gigantic speakers. Jack grabbed Ralph's hand, intertwining their fingers as he started walking through the enormous crowd that had gathered on the sidewalk. There were people of all kinds there. Gay men, lesbians, drag queens and more. Ralph looked around clinging to Jack for dear life.

"Are you okay?" Jack asked, his lips close to Ralph's ear.

"Yeah, I-I'm okay." Ralph stuttered. Jack wrapped his arm around Ralph's waist, pulling him closer.

"I won't let anything happen to you okay?" Jack promised. "Just let me know if it's getting too much and we'll find someplace quiet."

Ralph nodded his head, taking a deep breath. They watched the parade-like protest go one. There were some people selling shirts or other merchandise with rainbows on them. Jack had pulled them off to the side to check some of it out. He ended up purchasing matching shirts for the pair. Ralph kept his eye out for police, not wanting to get caught and fined for being at a protest like this.

What caught Ralph off guard, was how many couples there were. He had no idea that there were so many people interested in making same sex marriage happen. It felt as if time had stopped for him. He finally was able to take in the movement that was happening that day and he was proud to be apart of it. He saw people posing with their significant others for pictures, men wearing dresses and makeup without the judgement of others, and the joy of people being around each other. It was that moment when he felt his anxiety being pushed down and when he started to truly enjoy himself.

As the day went on, more people came to the protest. The whole street was blocked off by people's cars. The music was changed several times and the couple found themselves singing and dancing to it along with some other people. They were having a great time laughing with each other. That was the most Jack had ever seen Ralph smile. There was a twinkle in the fair boys eye when he reached up and grabbed Jack by the back of his neck. He stood on his toes and brought Jack's face forward, capturing his lips in a passionate kiss. There were hoots all around them as their lips met. Jack smiled into the kiss, enjoying the throbb in his chest.

Just as they pulled away, people started rushing around. At first, Ralph was confused but then he saw them. The police approaching them quickly. Jack grabbed Ralph's hand and started running with the rest of the group. They didn't get very far because an officer grabbed ahold of Ralph. Ralph let out an ear piercing cry as the officer ripped him away from Jack. Jack, without a second thought, punched the officer; causing more of a problem. 

A/N

Hey guys!

Just reminding you to go ahead and hit that cute little star there and maybe give me a vote! 

:)