5.4.

"Oh, so that's what you are up to without me, ye of little virtue!" Kintaro entered the room. "Did not even bother locking the door. Anybody could have come! Taken anything! Or anyone!"

Ithildin helped Alva get off the dressing-table and pull his clothes together. Kintaro, slightly stunned, took in his lover.

"Like ... you played whores in your theater, or what?" he finally managed. "Looking like that, you'll get picked up by the guards the moment you set foot in the street!"

"I, a noble lady, had nearly had my virtue despoiled, while my bodyguard gadded about goodness knows where!" said Alva and pouted as he wiped the paint off his face. "I would have been undone but for this noble elf saving me from rape. He got me to consent!"

Ithildin did not know where to hide under the barbarian's disconcerting gaze.

"Look at that! Our ice-boy melted! Saw a skirt and whoosh! Wonders will never cease. Well, then I want a bit of fun with a pretty girl too!" declared Kintaro. "Go on, my sweet, get the doll-face all pimped up like that."

"Get your pretty girls someplace else," spat Ithildin, chin belligerently raised. "I'll never wear a dress. Nothing will make me."

Suddenly Kintaro, who had sidled up to him, grabbed him and held Ithildin's hands behind his back.

"Come on, Alva, do it. I'm holding him. That red dress thing would look good on him."

"No, Lielle, you promised," cried out the elf. He struggled to shake off the barbarian's claws.

With a predatory grin, Alva slid over and grasped the elf by the waist.

"I promised not to force you, and I won't. But as God is my witness, Diné, if you refuse, I will too. Not another dress, no more make-up. Think about it, Diné, not another damn time. Just think about it."

He kissed the elf on the lips, and the kiss, drawn-out and passionate, hardly helped cognition.

"You can't ... the Enqins will recognize you ..."

"Yes, and you will never get to raise this long nice rustling skirt over my hips ... or taste the strawberry lipstick ... and no more Arislani perfumes, and none of these tarty shiny baubles round my neck ..."

Ithildin closed his eyes and gave himself over.

"So we'll take this off ... Kintaro, hand me that black dress with silver trim. Diné will be a grief-stricken widow. The very thing to turn away the overly curious."

"Black? He is pale enough as it is."

"You'll be giving me fashion tips now? My liaisons were with some of the best-dressed people in the capital! My second last lover would spend three hours in front of the mirror, daily! Don't listen to him, Diné. On the contrary, everybody will think that the dress is making you look pale. Besides, you'll carry a powder case around and take it out and make a big deal of powdering your nose. Or else we could use a veil. Yeah, one of those sheer organza ones ...."

"Why, Lielle, why?" moaned Ithildin helplessly. "We should not be attracting attention!"

"But we shall! But we won't be attracting attention as if we were troubled exiles, but, rather, as two ladies of quality traveling in pursuit of distraction. So I will flirt outrageously with anyone we meet, purchase loads of frippery and be decked out like the bird of paradise."

"Just don't let anyone get under your skirt, or else all your clever disguise will be for nothing," Kintaro interjected.

"I might let them fondle me up the leg a bit, and that should be plenty. I am not too fond of the Arislani type. Besides, they are so prejudiced about love among men. Yet another reason, by the way, why we ought to pose as women. Three men who live together and do not bring in women are obviously suspicious. All right, that fine specimen of noble Creedan womanhood, Lady Aldys Alanis, and her no less noble, but prematurely widowed companion Tsi-Ling Tsi-Jang, accompanied by their barbarian bodyguard by the name of ... Hey, chief, what's your name?"

"God, he must have shagged you silly, if you can't remember my name!" grinned Kintaro. "Or you trying to act every bit a featherbrain maiden?"

"Cretin. I mean, what's your name going to be. So we are not tracked down?"

"What else are you gonna come up with? Want me to dress like a slut next, too?"

Alva imagined Kintaro in a dress all too vividly, it seemed, because he fairly bawled with laughter.

Kintaro said carelessly, "I told my men not to spread the news that Akira was chief now. The Enqins probably think we are still humping away in my tent. And even if they go looking for us, think anyone here will remember my name? Just some barbarian with a sword, wouldn't even be able to tell the tribe. Maybe Ahtaro, maybe Heitaro, or maybe even Targhai, hope he gets a dagger up the ribs and soon."

Meanwhile, Alva's nimble fingers flitted all over Ithildin's face, applying eyeshadow, lipstick and khol. The elf bore it gallantly. Having Lielle so close calmed him, lulled him, and ... His lover's safety was worth every sacrifice! And what other sins could he fear committing, after he had left his people for a mortal man! For a man, who ... oh, how lovely he was in woman's form, embodying the dream of the perfect beloved from the elf's distant youth. To see again that woman who hid herself inside his Lielle as a butterfly hid within a flower, the elf would have even cut his hair.

"Your hair, we'll have to dye it," said Lielle in concord with his thoughts, and the elf sighed heavily.

"And the ears," chimed in the barbarian, "want a knife? To take a bit off the top?"

"Don't be stupid, we'll cover them up with a kerchief. Now, for the finishing touch ... All right, open your eyes. Diné?"

Ithildin stood stock-still at the mirror gazing at the unfamiliar reflection clad in swirling silver-black. The reflection possessed the slightly frightened face of a very young girl with full pink lips and eyes darkly rimmed in kohl. Disbelieving, Ithildin stretched out his hand, touched the girl, and her fingers moved to meet his from the other side of the mirror.

Ithildin looked to Lielle, lost.

"That's me?"

But Lielle did not get a chance to answer. With a curt "Holy shit!" Kintaro grabbed the elf by the waist and tossed him on the bed.

"Damn it, can't even one of you admire my artistry first," Chevalier Ahayrre wailed, but none lent him an ear.

"Let me go, swine! Lecherous bastard. Careful, oh ... you'll tear it ..." the elf's protestations gave way to incoherent moaning.

In a little bit, Kintaro, breathing heavily, rolled on his back next to Ithildin. The elf, too embarrassed to look up, was straightening his clothes.

Alva piped up snippily, "Looks like skirts do it for you too, huh, chief?"

"He's always looked like a girl. But now, don't know how, you made him look like a human being." The chief lifted his hips off the bed to close his pants and added, "Personally, I like Arislan. Plenty."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please, be careful to not die of laughter, but that's Kintaro in a dress XD Courtesy of Talleran, she couldn't pass over the idea.

"What are you looking at? Haven't you seen a Christmas Fairy before?" (frankly, I'd rather call him Fairy Godmother in this outfit:))))