5.10.

The next night, Alva and Bakhriyar got seriously drunk and the inevitable happened. Ithildin could have stopped Alva, as he, at least, was stone-cold sober, but chose not to. He even signed to Kintaro to keep out of it when Bakhriyar followed Alva to the inner courtyard. Those two had to sort it out the sooner the better.

But they did not get to the sorting out for quite a bit. Alone by the fountain in the night heavy with jasmine, Bakhriyar and Alva fell to kissing without knowing how. The caresses inebriated them more and more. The pillows spread around the fountain conveniently arranged themselves, while the hands traveled along the bodies of their own volition ...

Ithildin and Kintaro heard a gasp of surprise, and then the two by the fountain raised their voices in an argument, becoming louder and louder. The elf and the barbarian looked at one another, snorted, and went down to see what the noise was about.

"Gone too far at last, have you, sweetling?" asked Kintaro snidely as he took in the scene.

Ithildin took one glance at the barbarian, and was amazed by the change in him. His old swagger was back, complete with the insolent lustful smirk and the predatory gleam of the eye. Yesterday was a dream. Did that ever happen really – the arched back, moving shoulder blades, hips, quiet subdued moans?

"I don't understand," whined Bakhriyar, clutching his head. He swayed a little, and kept pushing away Alva's supporting hands.

"I'll explain it all later," cajoled Alva, but Bakhriyar just went on repeating, "I mean, why? What did you do that for? How could you? I trusted you ... How could I know ... You've deceived me!"

"Shit happens," said Kintaro and lent Bakhriyar a shoulder to lean on, then led him, stumbling, to the house. "Let's go and talk about it, man to man."

Alva suddenly chortled, face against Ithildin's shoulder.

"Man to man, oh my ... If he only knew what it means in the Wild Steppe! Sorry, can't control myself ... I tell you, it's like there was this fog inside my head ..."

"I know that fog; red, semi-sweet, straight from the Arislani vineyards," Ithildin supplied.

Alva giggled madly again, and tried to stopper his mouth.

"Ohhh, that's too much ... don't tease. I need to lie down. Hell ... I still have a hard-on." He put the elf's hand on his hard member so apparent beneath the wispy silk of the dress. "Someone ought to smack me ... I had no idea he'd be that upset ..."

"So you did let him get under your skirt, Lielle!" Ithildin grinned and kissed Alva on the mouth that tasted of wine and Bakhriyar.

Alva returned the kiss and clung to his neck, whimpering.

"Diné ... want you..." he whispered between kisses. "Shag me senseless ... God, I'm a bitch ... elf, my elf ... my love."

"Right here or in the bedroom?"

"Right here. Then in the bedroom."

Ithildin tossed Lielle down and did what he asked.

Chevalier Ahayrre had one trait Ithildin has long picked up on – after sex, he sobered up quickly and irrevocably. When they entered the bedchamber of the "Lady Alanis" through the window, Alva could already keep his feet, look embarrassed and sigh heavily.

They heard a muffled conversation in the next room – Kintaro's persuasive inflections and Bakhriyar's sullen mumbling. An eavesdropping Alva looked like a kitten ashamed of his being naughty. Then the voices stopped for a bit. And what they heard next, made Alva open his eyes wide in surprise and look askance at Ithildin. "Do you hear what I hear?"