Chapter 6

A door banged, and Alva was torn from his reverie. A gust of air ruffled the papers in front of him. The smell of ink mingled with the scent of those big white flowers that opened at dusk.

Was it night time already? When inspiration hit, Alva always forgot about time. He was busily sweeping, when it came upon him. Manual labor is strangely conducive to creativity. Or creativity might have been flowing already when he knocked over that blasted flower pot. Whichever way, but Alva was under the influence. Poetic influence. He dropped the broom, dusted off his hands, and began to cast about looking for ink and paper, nearly dislodging yet another flower pot.

Diné, summoned by Alva's stream of curses, saved the pot of blooming azaleas from his desperate hold, carefully replaced it, and proffered Alva's favorite leather-bound notebook.

"Love you," said Alva. Absently certified the sentiment with a kiss, flipped open the notebook, took a quill, and lost interest in the world. At moments like this, he became immune even to Kintaro's overtures.

Diné kissed Alva back, and tactfully left the poet in inspiration's embrace.

During their stay in Iskenderun, the elf discovered that he had an unexpected gift for cooking. Now he happily spent hours in the kitchen, surrounded by cookbooks and spice jars. Alva was all for it. On one hand, Ithildin had found something he enjoyed that did not require leaving the house (except maybe once in a while for a new batch of rare herbs). On the other, it allowed them to do without a cook. Fewer gossipy servants made it safer. Besides, Ithildin's cooking was stupendous. Pity it was only Alva who could truly appreciate his talent, because Kintaro's chief preoccupation at mealtimes was not the food, but whose thigh or knee to grope first.

Sorry for the short part, I promise to update soon!