Chains

I wake up in a room with white walls. It was quiet except for the occasional beep or click. I sit up and place my left hand on my head. Where am I?! I look around and see someone looking back at me. Startled, I jump back in the white bed I am sitting in. There are wires attached to me.
"Hey. How are you feeling?" The boy asks me. He has brown hair and a muscular figure.
"Um...what? Who-who are you?" I ask, scared. I sit unsettled in the bed.
"Um, Melissa? It's me."
"Who are you?" I ask, a little more stern this time. I narrow my eyes at him. Why is he in my room? And what room am I in?
"Melissa, it's Shawn. Shawn Mendes..." He stands up and walks over to me as I continue to move backwards on the bed. I start breathing heavily and I fall off the edge of the bed.
"What?" I picture a bus in my head. 'Canada's Music Man!' I continue to breathe heavily as I look up at him.
"Canada's Music Man...?" I quickly scoot backwards until I hit the wall with a loud thud. The wires attached to me follow.
"Um...yeah. You don't remember me?" I don't know what to say.
"Um..." Someone walks in.
"What is going on in here?" The lady asks. She has a New Jersey accent that for some reason calms me down. "Mr. Mendes, can you explain yourself?" She places her hands on her hips. Who is this guy? All I know about him is that he's Canada's Music Man.
"Uh...Melissa...doesn't know who I am." He says, hesitantly. The lady looks at me.
"Honey, is this true?" She continues to stare at me. I don't know who these people are. I have to get out of here. I have to go. I get up and start to run past her and out the door when Mr. Music Man and the lady both grab me and forcefully push me onto the bed and strap me down. I start crying. I kick and push and scream.
"LET ME GO! LET ME GO RIGHT NOW!" I demand through tears and heavy breathing. When I am fully strapped onto the bed they both let go of me. The lady leaves quickly like she's in some sort of hurry, but it's not like I can get out now! The Music Man looks at me with soft eyes filled with pain. He's hurt, but why? Did I do something? His pain filled eyes look down at the floor and they stay there, his hands in his pockets. He sits down in a chair nearby with his head in his hands and he rubs his eyes. I do my best to turn my head so I can look at him. I see a gentle tear run down his cheek, then fall to the floor silently. The lady comes back with other ladies wearing the same blue outfit as her. Are we about to have a flash mob or something? One of them holds a needle and I squirm in my bed. I breathe heavily as the lady holding the sharp needle walks over to me and sticks it in my wrist. The familiar black void fills my field of vision once again.

These chains that hold me don't only hold my body, but they hold my future, my hope, and my dreams down. These chains that hold me lower my self esteem, they lower my power to change the world, they lower my worth. These chains that hold me don't just shut me out from the world, they shut the world out from me. These chains that hold me pin me down so much to the point that I don't want to get up. These chains that hold me force me to let go of my dreams and not pursue them. These chains that hold me don't give me the chance to live life. These chains that hold me won't let go...

(A/n: no, they did not pin her down with literal chains, ok? I'm being metaphorical so try this: replace 'these chains that hold me' with 'the haters' and read it again :) ik it sounds depressing but keep reading, okay? Please don't write hateful comments about how self worth won't change bla bla. Ik, I get it, but I need to write that to express the emotion that Melissa is feeling, alright? See u guys in the next chapter...)