"School trip. Remember?"

"Mom, I seriously don't have the time," I said, putting my hair in a sloppy braid whilst talking to my mom on speakerphone.

"Oh, c'mon, Jess! You don't have time for a girls' weekend with your dear ol' mom?" Mom teased, and I rolled my eyes furiously.

  "That's what I've been trying to say for the past hour,"

  "Why not?"

  I groaned and wrapped the hair tie around the bottom of my braid. "School trip. Remember? School trip during the summer for extra credit, science-y place, ring a bell?"

"Well, after that—"

"Gotta go now. Bye!" I said, hitting 'end call' and sighing. Of course, she calls to make plans on the day I leave for my trip. I grabbed my suitcase and called for my dad, saying I was ready.

****

"Excited?" I mused, looking over at Peter on the plane. I sat with Peter and Ned, two bigger nerds than me. He grinned, nodding.

"I mean, last trip like this—" he started, then cut himself off. I motioned for him to continue. "—had th-those radioactive spiders. They were pretty c-cool,"

He looked down at his hands, wearing that expression that makes it look like he's holding a frog in his mouth, and Ned looked at him in disbelief. I narrowed my eyes at them. "What's wrong with you two? The spiders were pretty cool,"

****

"Hey, Parker," I called, waving him over. "Those radioactive spiders are here,"

His eyes widened and he rushed over. "I thought they died," he mumbled. I grinned.

"Nnnope!"

  He took my hand and led me away. "Hey there, Parker. I was still looking at them," I protested.

  "They're dangerous, Jess," he frowned. "They bite,"

  I pride my hand from his and said, "They're behind glass. I think I'll be fine,"

  He sighed, then his phone dinged. He looked at it and said, "I gotta go," before hurriedly walking away.

  "Back to vanishing, are you?" I mumbled, then felt a pinch on my neck. I went to see what it was, and found a bit of blood on my finger. "Something bit me,"

****

We got back to the hotel, and I sighed, tired. I was one of the few to have a room alone, so I went to my room and flipped onto the bed. There was a crack and the bed collapsed.

I jumped up and looked. "Holy shit!" I said through gritted teeth, running a hand over my face. "How did I— Peter can lift me with one arm! Either he's really strong or this bed is really weak!"

I swung my door open and ran out, running to Peter and Ned's room and banging on the door. Bed opened and I pushed past him. "Uh, you're not supposed—"

"I just jumped on my bed and it collapsed, I think they'll let me off for going in your room," I said in reply. "Where's Peter?"

"He, uh..." Ned paused. "Snuck out,"

"Of course he did," I sighed, sitting down on a bed. The back of my neck was itchy, so I scratched, accidentally scratching where I was bitten. I completely forgot about that!

My finger grazed over the bite mark, and I remembered Peter's warning ringing in my head. They bite.

My eyes widened and I chewed my bottom lip. "I gotta go," I said abruptly, standing and rushing out of the room. I ran to my room and quickly took off my clothes, shaking them out. A red and blue spider, just like the radioactive ones, was in my clothes until I shook it out. I quickly grabbed a glass and put it over the spider, breathing heavily. There was a knock on my door, and I yelled, "Uh, just a second!" and quickly pulled on a pair of pyjamas. I slid the glass under the spare bed and looked through the peephole to see Peter. I opened the door and gave him the best smile I could muster. "Where'd you run off to, Parker?"

"Uh, nowhere. Ned said you were looking for me?" He looked down at his shoes.

"Oh. Yeah. I jumped on my bed and— here, look at it,"

I opened the door wider so he could see. He looked at the destroyed bed in confusion, stepping in the room and walking towards it. "Must not be very sturdy... maybe some of the legs were loose,"

"Yeah. Maybe,"

Or maybe a radioactive spider that oddly resembles Spiderfreak bit me and possibly gave me super strength or something. But... that's unrealistic.

Well, so is the idea of the Avengers, but they exist.