Chapter Nine

The next day, I didn't leave my home. The furthest out the door I went was just to the edge of the front porch, where I picked up my newspaper. I sat on my couch, the same one Gatsby saw me in only a few days ago. It felt so much longer.

I set my tea down next to myself and picked up my newspaper. I was grateful I wasn't holding my tea, for I would have dropped it once I laid eyes on the cover page.

Young Millionaire Homosexual?

A young woman claiming to be the secret lover of famous young bachelor and millionaire Jay Gatsby came into our office a few days ago with inside info on the man and his life. What she said, to be frank, was shocking.

Jay Gatsby left the young woman for another man, revealing his homosexuality to her as he tore her heart to pieces.

This young woman, who will not be named, stated that she sacrificed everything she had to be with Gatsby, and felt a strong betrayal finding out that he was using her to promote the idea of Gatsby's false heterosexuality.

The other man in question, happens to be the closest acquaintance of Gatsby, and a former editor here, Mr. Nick Carraway. According to our source, the two were caught holding hands and kissing very passionately.

I trembled as I attempted to thumb my way through three more pages of it, before setting down the paper. I felt terrified. Gatsby was mislabeled, and I just had my deepest secret revealed. I didn't know what to do. I saw my tea, and attempted to pick it up, but my shaking hands forced the cup out of my grasp and onto the floor where it shattered. I instinctively lifted my feet to avoid cutting myself. I heard the door open and a pair for feet rush in. I looked up, partially hoping for Gatsby despite my anger and frustration with the man currently. What I got was even better.

"Nick, are you alright?" Jordan asked, making her way over with a broom that was next to her. "I'm fine Jordan. I am so happy to see you come home after a year," I replied, truly meaning my words. The mess with Gatsby had left me more alone than when I was already by myself in his home. His home... I felt myself slowly beginning to crumble, and Jordan stopped her work to comfort me.

She held me close to her chest, such as a mother holding her child close after they woke up from a bad dream. I let my tears fall freely, and she stroked my head, mumbling comforting words to me.

"What happened while I was away Nick?"

"I'm in love with a man."

I froze at hearing myself blurt it out. Jordan froze as well, and I feared the worst to come from it. But she just resumed her stroking. "So that newspaper was telling the truth? You and Gatsby are..?" She trailed off, and I pushed out of her hold. "No Jordan, the only thing right about that paper was my sexuality. Gatsby is not my lover, and he certainly is straight. So straight, he-" I broke off, remembering the kiss that was only for Daisy. "He what, Nick? What did Gatsby do?" Jordan pushed. I hesitated. It would be good to tell her, she was always the confidant out of all of us. Even I didn't know half the things she did.

"He kissed me Jordan. We both got roaring drunk yesterday, and we were dancing, and he kissed me. But it wasn't me he was kissing. He called out Daisy's name." Jordan furrowed her thin brows in thought, before widening her eyes with a conclusion. "How long have you had feelings for Gatsby?" She asked, leaning forward. I flushed at how fast she knew. "Months, maybe even since I met him," I responded. Jordan nodded, and pulled me close again. "I don't care who you fall in love with, as long as you are happy." She whispered.

I felt surprised, but also comforted. Knowing that my two closest acquaintances supported me, despite being in a place where it wasn't okay, brought peace into my mind. I relaxed completely in her hold, knowing that I still had someone to keep me safe.