Chapter 1

I wash the counter, my arm sluggish. Raven had challenged me to a drinking contest last night when I was already tipsy, and let's just say that even I have my limits. It had been two years since I had been saved by Doctor Roberts, and by association, met the Toma team. At the time, I was still pretty squirrely-being abused can do that to a person- but they didn't let that stop them, slowly but surely pushing themselves into my life.  

           When I had my first nightmare at my new residence, Raven smashed my door down and slept with me, soothing me back to sleep with murmured Russian when I woke up. Thankfully the nightmares aren't as frequent, but we still have sleepovers often. So often, that I started to notice the looks Corey gave the big bear every time he came out of my apartment. I'm happy to say that my match-making skills were in top form and that they are now a couple. It seemed like the rest of the team had expected this turn of events, and their relationship was accepted. This didn't stop Raven from flirting with me, but now I knew it was in jest. 

            Brandon had been standoffish until a certain night when I might or might not have gotten into a little accident on my new motorcycle. He found me out, and took it upon himself to teach me how to ride. It's been our secret ever since.  Marc had been the first to accept me, dragging me over every morning to try his latest coffee concoction. He was my very first friend. I still go to him first with all of my problems, though Corey and I have bonded over superheros. Kevin was around, but last year he moved out to live with his fiancee. He was no longer a part of the Toma team, but he still kept in touch. 

            Now Axel, he was a tough cookie. He was even more standoffish than Brandon in the beginning, basically shunning me at every turn. Every guy on this team had been though hell and being the leader, it was Axel's job to not let that overwhelm any of them. He thought that I threatened that balance. I joined the Academy shortly after meeting them, and was temporarily assigned to their team because of my aversion to women. It was out of the frying pan and into the fire right away. They were in the middle of taking down a drug ring, and needed my stealth in what would be the final shootout. Turns out, it was a trap and they had the guys surrounded. With a gun to Axel's head, and knives to the others' necks, I jumped down from my hiding spot in the rafters, taking out the guy with the gun. I might have also shot some people on that mission. But anyway, I think that's what sealed the deal for Axel.  

            This past year, on my eighteenth birthday, they had asked me to be a permanent part of the team. I obliged, gracefully gifting everyone with tears and snot. It was a good time. They became my family, and vice versa. Which was why I was stuck wiping counters with hangover.  

So a comment from @DonnaMiley had me thinking about a Sang + 14 story. I feel like this twist will spice this book up. Thoughts? (Luke will still be at the coffee shop)