havana oh na na (part i)

»havana, cuba
and the year is 2019.

"mr. mclaughlin, a pinot noir, will you?" the redhead asked from across the bar. her tinged waves trapezed over her shoulder blades. she winked at the lean young man bustling; a towel in hand, he wiped away at shot glasses behind the counter.

"one pinot noir coming right up, miss sink." the gentle yet enticing bartender said, turning only his head in her direction to catch her alluring gaze.

the girl, sadie's cheeks became rosy as she peaked downwards, taking in a glance of her revealing red ensemble before staring at her bare nails, the raunchy music thundering in her ears.

and then, a voice interrupted her. "i hope you don't mind but i couldn't help but overhear."

her head rose and she turned to the man who had just taken a seat on her left, however, she was too occupied to notice his presence until he had spoken.

the man had an undisputed modern style. his hair was a slick light cocoa, he was veiled in black from head to toe, despite the gold accents underlining the opulent fossil watch wrapped around his left wrist.

she rolled her eyes at her distaste. "your point?"

"aren't you a little too young to be out this late?" he whispered artfully as the mclaughlin boy placed a napkin in front of her, and her drink on top of it before grimacing at the sight of a stranger, an older man, sitting a bit too close to his childhood sweetheart for his liking. when the boy stalked off, he leaned in, continuing, "for a drink?" before suggestively referring to her underage.

sink merely smirked, indifferent with his question. she picked up the glass and took a sip as he watched, distracted. she exhaled, then amusedly stared at the object in her hands— his wallet. his eyes widened as, filled with alert, his hands brushed through his jean pockets, only to find them empty.

"david, aren't you a little too old to be flirting?" she slyly asked as she slipped his i.d. as well as a random cut-out from its contents, swivelling them in the air. on one side of the cut-out, the initials 'd & v' were signed with a sharpie. however, the crisp photograph showed him and a woman, standing happily in front of a what seemed to be their brand-new house. she grimaced.

"and a little too married?

he sighed. "you've got me there, love."

her indifferent expression turned. "love?"

"aye," he uttered, "that picture was taken almost a decade ago before two sons and a god-awful mother-in-law came into the picture."

she smirked while he continued, "my wife— she is a bore. you, however, fascinate me."

"a married english man? stranger things are happening, wouldn't you say?" she sighed, causing him to chuckle lowly.

he softly wrapped a finger around a lock of her hair, gently placing it behind her ear while admiring the means of her exquisite features.

their moment was shortly cut off by another young bartender with a thicker native accent, who cleared his throat. "excuse me, sir, drinks for two?"

a confused expression fell on the girl as she furrowed her brows. "two?" she asked.

ignoring her question, he mouthed to the bartender, "thank you."

"no problem, welcome to havana." the boy said with a half-smile before turning away.

"what's a fine young woman like you doing out here in the city?" he asked her casually, as he took a shot of his newly served drink before exhaling deeply, gesturing for her to follow suit.

she then did just so, mimicking his actions from moments ago. "wouldn't you like to know?" she teased.

"you're a fiesty one. i like you already."  he stood up, offering his hand to her. "dance with me?"

she looked intently into his eyes, then down at his hand, where a silver band shone bluntly around his ring finger. she raised an eyebrow, wondering whether it would hurt to take her chances.

and the last words either of them remembered from that night were her greedy ones: "let's dance."

-

a/n: i'm not officially back yet but i've had this written in my drafts for a long ass time now. special thanks to madds who knew about and gave me comforting advice for this chapter. i'm moving next week so hopefully i can write more by the end of the month after i've settled. until then, enjoy this very short chapter. there are parts to havana.

(p.s. if you're waiting for a helpless update, real sorry.)