Chapter 4

Cammie

Buzzz buzzz My alarm blares and I turn it off angry that it interrupted my dream. It was about me and Shannon and we weren't really doing anything but it was just nice to be spending time with her, even if it was only a dream!

It's weird how after 3 years of pretty much no contact between us we've been brought together by a school project and it feels like old times, like we've never been apart!

I break out of my day dream about my former best friend and jump in the shower to get ready for school, I get dressed in just jeans and a t-shirt, straighten my hair, put on some make up and I'm ready for school. On my way out the door I grab my jar of overnight oats to eat when I get to school.

Stevie🙌🙃💚:

C: HELP🚨🚨🚨

S: What??
S: Are you okay?
S: What's the emergency?

C: Shannon's coming over to my house tonight

S: Whats wrong with that? And why is she going to your house?

C: We've got an essay to write for English
C: And it's just really weird, like she hasn't been to my house in years! And we have only spoken to each other in class, this is at MY HOUSE!!

S: Calm down! You're just writing an essay! It's not like it's a date

C: Yeah you're right, see you at lunch

If only she knew! It's not a date but I want it to be. Stevie's gay and out but I'm not ready for that yet. And now I've got to spend time with my former best friend who I now have a secret crush on and how am I going to manage to write an essay when I can't take my mind off of her!?!

It's now lunch but I can't eat because of the butterflies in my stomach, while I'm excited at the thought of spending time with Shannon, I'm also nervous about it because she's stunningly beautiful and how will I be able to resist myself from kissing her!

I'm sitting at our usual lunch table with Stevie when Shannon comes over to me. "Hey so I was wondering if I um, could eh, maybe I should have your number. You know so I can let you know when I'm on my way to your house later" she says as she scratches her neck, she can't look at me so is she nervous?? "Yeah of course, hand me your phone and I'll put it in. Do I get to have yours or are you just getting my number so you can prank call me later?" Uh I sound so dumb! We're practically adults why would she be making prank calls! "Haha no I promise I won't prank you, but I'll text you later and then you'll have my number because I don't actually know it!" "Okay cool well I'll talk to you later Shannon" "yeah, bye" she replied as she turned away to go join her friends. She looks really pretty today

Unknown number:
S: So guess who

C: 😂😂 now way that's so lame

S:😳 rude!

C: Sorry 🙊
C: Hey Shannon

S: Hey Cam, I'm just about to start practice but I should be done in about an hour and then I'll go home and change and head over to yours?

C: Yeah sounds great, see you later

She's read my text but probably didn't have time to reply. Time for some Last Chance U on Netflix to hopefully distract me!

Shannon B:
S: Hey I'm just getting ready to come over, what's your address? Are you still living on Oak Street?

C: You remembered 😮 but yes still living there

S: Of course I remember 😳 I practically lived in your house the whole of middle school

C: 😂😂😂 that's very true! But yeah just hurry up and come over so we can get this stupid essay done

S: Yeah I'm on my way, I'll be 10ish minutes

C: Can't wait ✌🏻✌🏻

There's a knock at the door and I race downstairs to answer it but my mom beats me "Hey Mrs Scott" "Hi Shannon, how are you?" "I'm good thanks, is Cammie here?" "Yeah come on in"
"Hi Shan, mom we've got an English essay to write so we'll be in my room" "Okay girls, let me know if you need anything" "Thanks Mrs Scott!" "Shannon how many times have I told you, call me Sandie!" "Oh yeah, sorry Sandie"

We're upstairs siting on my bed, we've pretty much finished our essay so we're just talking.
"So I'm having a 'back to school' party on Friday at my house if you want to come?" Shannon asks me, again she's not looking at me and acting really shy but it's very cute!" "Yeah that sounds really good thanks, who's invited?" "Pretty much everyone our age who lives in Dallas, Ally put herself in charge of the guest list" she laughs "And you can bring a few friends if you'd like" she adds "Yeah that would be great, thanks Shan. Will your parents be there?" "No my dads away on business at the moment and won't be back until next week and my mum lives across town." "Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know! Erm are you okay about it all?" I ask genuinely caring. "Yeah thanks, I mean it was tough at the beginning but they're happier now which is good. And they both still live in Dallas so that's good." She says but there's a hint of sadness in her voice. "Well as long as you're all happy and okay I suppose that's good! But I'm sorry I wasn't there for you when it happened, if you ever need to talk I'm here." "Yeah thanks, I appreciate that! I better go now but I'll see you tomorrow" she says while gathering her stuff. "Yeah okay, let me walk you out." We reach the front door and say our goodbyes and I watch as she walks to her car, just as she was about to drive off she rolls down the window and waves to me while shouting "BYE" and then she's gone and I run upstairs to get my phone to call Stevie and tell her all about it.

After I phone Stevie there's a knock on my door "Can I come in Cammie?" "Yeah sure mom" I bet she's going to ask about Shannon!
"So how are you honey?" "I'm fine thanks mom, how are you doing?" "Yeah I'm good, it was nice to see Shannon" "Yeah we've been partnered together for English and it's been nice getting to spend time with her again." "That's good, you used to be such great friends! I kind of miss having her around the house making noise and eating all the food" she laughed. "Yeah well she might be over more but we'll need to wait and see" "Well she's always welcome here Cam, and she makes you happy which I really like to see" "Thanks mom, goodnight" "Goodnight Cam"

Hope you're all enjoying this so far! Thanks everyone for reading. This is my first story so it's been a slow start but i'm going to try to update more and make them longer. Please feel free to comment and suggestions or advice