58 | [take a deep breath]

emerson kept calling rebecca, hoping her big sister would pick up the phone. tears were spilling from her eyes, and she was shaking.

"please, pick up." emerson begged into her phone. "please!"

"em? what's going on?" tom said, walking into the dining room. "baby, what's wrong?" he worried when he saw her face.

"s - she -" emerson couldn't talk. she felt as though her lungs were collapsing, and she didn't know how to make it stop. tom grabbed her hand and held it.

"take a deep breath." he said. "emerson, breathe." he continued, moving her face to meet his eyes. "tell me what happened."

"rebecca -"

"your sister, rebecca?" he asked. emerson nodded, and let out more tears.

"something's wrong." she said. "i - i think something happened."

"like what?"

"i think she killed herself." emerson said, crying hysterically when she said the words out loud. "i can't get in touch with her!"

tom quickly pulled her into a hug and kissed the top of her head. "don't think the worst, love."

"tom, you don't understand." she said. "bad things happened to her." she continued. she explained what had happened to her, how she had been raped by their mother's boyfriend. tom started crying with emerson, and he never let go of her hand.

"oh my god." tom said. "em-"

"please don't tell me you're sorry. i can't take it anymore." emerson said. "i don't even know where she lives. how am i supposed to know if she's ok?" tom said nothing. he just stared her. he didn't know what to say; there was nothing he could do to make her feel better, and they both knew it.

"maybe you should call julia. i think she'd be better at handling this." tom said.

"tom, there's no one i want here right now more than you. i love you. you're my rock." she said. "i know you don't know what to say, and that's okay because at least you're here." tom gave her a small smile and kissed her forehead.

"i love you." he said. "everything is going to be okay."

she didn't believe him.

[8/2/17]