Two

Two.

Their relationship had never looked back from that initial misunderstanding-because in Hiccup, Astrid found what she had been missing. He was easy-going, caring, kind and reasonable, the antithesis of her aggressive, single-minded, non-stop, ambitious personality. They were both stubborn-which added occasional friction-but the fact that they had an instant connection meant they were willing to settle any disagreements reasonably-and without Hiccup getting punched again.

Of course, Astrid being the organised workaholic she was, the relationship did start slowly because she was scared to commit and more scared that she would lower her barriers and allow herself to care...just to have the person she cared for leave her. So Hiccup did much of the heavy lifting in the first few dates, asking her out, organising the venues and ensuring she did actually turn up. But it was on their fourth date that she knew she was falling for him when she agreed to stay-sober, this time-and spent the night in his apartment, watching some old comedy show and snuggling. She found herself able to talk to him as no one else, sharing her desolation when she lost her parents and finding herself alone. For a brief moment, she had questioned the point of her efforts before she had immured herself against everything except her work...until she had met Hiccup. And though he respected her work ethic-because he knew that her work was everything-he began to make sure that she had time away from work, much to the approval of Heather. Astrid began to have fun and become happy and exuberant young woman Heather had first met.

But a major audit interrupted her budding romance and everything came screeching to a halt as she and her team worked tirelessly to ensure every aspect of financial governance was pristine for the auditors' inspection. After four days of missed calls and ignored texts, Hiccup had taken matters into his own hands and he had turned up at the offices of Hofferson Investments. Astrid and Heather had been huddled in her office, triple checking client records and account records when the blonde looked up-to see a familiar messy auburn mop traversing the office outside, nodding to the weary staff who were still working despite it being almost eight o'clock in the evening. Smiling and nodding, he had walked to the office and let himself in through the glass door marked with the discreet nameplate: ASTRID HOFFERSON CEO.

"Hi," he said with a grin. "My name's Hiccup and I was looking for my girlfriend. I think she was kidnapped by some dreadful l monster named Audit...so I came to rescue her."

"Heather-meet my hilarious boyfriend, Hiccup Haddock," Astrid said tiredly. Green eyes widened and the raven-haired girl started.

"As in 'Chief' Stoick Haddock?" she asked, sitting up and eyeing the tall young man.

"Absolutely no relation," Hiccup deadpanned.

"Father," Astrid cut in, looking up into his concerned face. "What're you doing here, babe? Kinda busy..."

"Apart from the fact you've missed three dates and have cut me off without so much as a text telling me to leave you alone forever, I was worried because I guessed-correctly, as it turns out-that you aren't looking after yourself," he told her, opening his rucksack and laying a casserole dish on the desk, followed by plates, a loaf of bread, cutlery, glasses, a bottle of wine and napkins. "So I brought the date to you."

She stared at him in utter shock.

"I-I don't have time," she protested, her stomach growling in defiance of her determination. "Hiccup-the audit is in two days..."

"...and you are already ready, aren't you?" he asked her directly, his emerald eyes reading her face. "You're going over things for the third time-possibly fourth-and doing it at this time, when you're exhausted, will mean you will miss that crucial error instead of picking it up! So you need a break." He lifted the lid off the casserole. "Honeyed pulled pork, apples, potatoes...crusty bread." Heather stared at him and then at the blonde...before closing her book and rising.