Part 5

Lucky being surprised was a fucking understatement.

Last night when she walked into to see that lean, tall boy, with those Bowie like mismatched blue and green eyes, her heart almost stopped dead in her chest; there he was, Jake Carter. It all rushed back like a tidal wave through her chest, the first time he made her laugh, when he asked her out by passing cute notes with tick boxes, how he punched one of his brothers for calling her a nutcase then took her dancing, how easy it had always been to love him... but with those memories came that one, the one that made them all a little dimmer and the last year a little harder to be near him. To look at him. To love him.

Wayne had invited him as a last minute surprise, yeah like I said; understatement.

He had always liked Jake, but still made him sleep in the study... obviously.

Then there was breakfast, the kitchen was jam packed with bodies, Adam and Wayne talking about finally getting him a car, both with a half mouth full of pancakes, Sam was stealing her third round of bacon from the middle plates, Kimmy more than happy with her Branflakes while Sarah ran around making sure everyone was fed.

Lucky though was sat opposite Jake, who was absently shoveling eggs into his face like it was his very last meal. Lucky wasn't sure what she was meant to do, she forgot how good looking he was... bleached blonde and perfectly tan, those almost black eyebrows with a spike shoved though them and that amazing, perfect snaggletooth smile that had made her strike the yes box on that note once upon a time.

But that was then, and now? Well something just didn't feel right, like a weight was pressing on her gut. She just couldn't stop staring at him "Lucky, honey you're not hungry?"

The blue eyed teen snapped out of her daze just long enough to see the food on her plate remained untouched "Oh, sorry Sarah, I guess I'm just not that hungry this morning."

"You feeling ok, sweetie?" Sarah sweetly loved a few stray hairs out of her stepdaughters face, a look of concern clear in her eyes.

Lucky just smiled meekly "Yeah, peachy, just had too much last night I guess."

Sarah didn't believe her at all but nodded and turned back to actually make her own breakfast. Lucky went back to scanning the table, her father was sat in a nice suit, now laughing with Jake, who was getting more than a few fiery glares from across the table, Kimmy, even Sam, that's normal, but Adam...

Something didn't feel right at all. It was like a beginning rumbling's of a storm was churning inside her.

Something was just wrong.

"I'm going to get dressed..."

As Lucky moves back, her chair scrapping lightly against the floor Wayne snaps up and comes to pull her aside "Lucky, hey sweetie, here..."

He handed her a slip of paper and a small empty pill bottle; her name, not Lucky, the one she'd gotten so used to over the years, her real name, plastered on the side "Dad..."

"Look, you're growing up, hell your Seventeen in a few weeks, you should be able to refill your own prescription." Lucky stared into those reflective blue eyes and cocked a brow "are you high? Hit your head?"

Wayne chuckles lightly before smiling, taking her soft hands in his "I know this last year has been pretty hard, on all of us, I know I can be... too much, but it's because I love you, your my little girl. I guess... it's just hard to remember you're not actually a little girl anymore. I need to start trusting you, and I'm going to try."

A smile crept onto her face and Lucky couldn't stop herself if he'd tried as her arms threw themselves around her father's neck "thank you."

"Just, don't let me down. Okay?" and he had to ruin it.