"It happens."

Daryl should've just dropped the blonde off at home. That girl had to be the most talkative of the entire female species. From the minute they'd sat down, she'd started ranting about that idiot who she'd left at the diner- ultimately preventing the very hungry man from devouring his chocolate cake in peace- and she was still talking.

"I thouht he'd changed...and then he started drinking and- " that's when the water works started. Daryl cursed as the whole diner turned to look at the pair, then cursed the young woman in front of him. In his entire 30 years of life, he'd never been put in a situation that involved comforting the opposite sex. Growling, he pushed himself up, threw down a bill or two, and stormed out of the diner. I'll be damned if I even try to comfort the dumb bitch, she should've known better 'an that.

He was nearly tempted to drive off and leave her there.

"Daryl, wait! I'm sorry, I just- Maggie's not here and I don't have anyone else to vent to-" he heard her hit the gravel before he saw it. How can someone so strong let her guard down, for an idiot like that? Cautiously, the redneck walked over and rested a hand on her shoulder.

"I shoulda stayed with ya. It's my fault things got outta hand, but I'll be damned if I let a pretty girl like you cry over some dumbass. Seen enough of that in my lifetime."

"No, it's not your fault. I should have known better. Thank you, Daryl. I bet I probably look like an idiot now." Beth hiccuped, looking up at Daryl with the brightest blue eyes he'd ever seen. A small smile threatened to escape the man as he lifted her up by the elbow. To his suprise she wrapped her arms around him and laid her head on his chest. He'd never let anyone get that close in such a long time. Finally, the girl detached herself from him and made her way to the truck; they'd both had a long night.

When they got home Hershel was already in bed and the porch light was still on. Beth had gone inside, leaving Daryl alone to dwell on tonight's events. Beth and Jimmy reminded him so much of his Ma and Pa, he couldn't believe he'd let her sit with him alone. Never again would a child suffer like he did because of a stupid drunk.

"Daryl? You still out here?" Beth's curious face peeked around to see him sitting on the porch swing with a cigarette in hand.

"Go to sleep, it's past your bedtime." he murmured only glancing at the two beer bottles she had in her hands.

"I'll have you know that my bedtime isn't for another hour." she snarked back going over and pushing a bottle into his chest.

"How you gonna explain both of them bottles missin' to ya daddy?" he questioned, scooting over so she could sit down. With a sad smile she gave him a small shrug. "It happens."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

In case you didn't notice that was a filler chapter and yes, yes it did suck. I'll try and update tomorrow, if THESE CRAMPS GO AWAY. Aha, what did you guys think? Should the next chapter continue from the porch or nah? ~J♥