Chapter Nine

The lodge like structure was far more than Caden had first thought. The animal rugs that lined the floor gave it at almost noble like feel to it. The house was separated into different sections by the thick wooden walls that most houses did not have. Whoever had made this house, spent an incredible amount of time designing it.

Currently they sat in the lounge on soft three seated chairs that were lined with even more animal skins that had been tempered enough to be comfortable to sit on. With Caden on the left, Ren in the middle leaning on him, and Katherine on the right, they sat with the blazing fireplace to their right. Before them on the other three seated chair was the middle aged man that they had first seen. They were waiting for his wife to return from the floor above them.

After a few minutes of silence, a middle aged women with barely any wrinkles made her way down the stairs. Wearing a simple dress that was elegant within its own simplicity, she appeared very beautiful. Her soft brown straight hair pulled into a french braid and hung down the center of her back. Her soft hazel eyes once more giving an air of nobility.

"Brom, who do we have here?" She said to her husband with love filling her voice. The mere sight of him was enough to cause her heart to leap without limits.

"They requested a place to stay. They say that they would be leaving in the morning." Brom said as he turned his head to face his wife. A soft smile filled his lips which broke down his masculine look that he tried to pervay across to Caden and Katherine.

"I see." She said as she took a seat to Brom's right. His right arm wrapping around her and pulling her closer. "So, tell me about yourselves." She said with a soft voice that held no animosity.

"My husband and I are merely looking for a place to rest. It doesn't have to be the best." Katherine began as she cast a quick glance towards Caden. However, she did not notice the emotion that filled her own gaze, yet Brom's wife did. It seemed that nothing would get passed her. "Anything will be fine."

"Your husband does not seem to trust us." Brom's wife said calmly as her gaze found Caden's. He seemed calm with Ren by his side, but he still appeared uncomfortable with their presence.

"It's because he does not know you." Katherine quickly said as she cast another quick glance towards Caden. Her left arm shot out and lightly smacked his right shoulder. This bringing his attention from the two in front of him to Katherine. The tension within his body lessened as his gaze found hers but it did little to calm his mind.

"I see the effect you have on him." Brom's wife said with a soft chuckle. "Oh, where are my manners. My name is Trish and this is Brom." She said as she gestured to herself before gesturing to her husband with her right hand.

"I'm Katherine and my husband is Caden." She began with a smile on her lips. "And this little one is Ren." She gestured to the little beast girl who was currently snuggling up closer to Caden. It would seem that she was no longer unconscious but rather asleep.

"She is very beautiful." Trish said with a loving voice that a mother would normally have for their children. 

"She is." Katherine said as a smile crossed her lips. Her motherly instincts already showing. As if she had already chosen to accept Ren as her own.

"And why are you leaving? Where are you running to?" Trish suddenly asked which took Caden and Katherine by surprise.

"Why do you think we are running?" Caden asked wondering what the reason Trish would give could be.

"You have no luggage. Coming from the kingdom's directions. And the fact that you have claimed a beast girl as your daughter should be reason enough." Trish said as an indifferent look appeared on her face.

Caden looked at Katherine before his gaze found little Ren as she snaked her small arms around his right arm, holding it tightly.

"Both Katherine and Ren are in danger. With the recent coup d'etat occurring families such as ours are not welcome. To save her, we must run. We must establish another place to call our home." Caden said as his gaze never left Ren. Half of him was telling the truth well the other of course was a lie. Although he hoped that it would be enough to convince Trish to let them stay the night.

"Coup d'etat?" Trish asked clearly surprised at the revelation. Both her and Brom leaned forward interested in this development.

"The court adviser, Tristan, has led a coup d'etat against the queen. I don't know her location currently and can only hope the best for her, but she is no longer in control." Katherine continued as she shifted closer to Ren and Caden. "From what has been told about Tristan, his love for mixed families is one of the worst. Families such as ours is not welcome. All involved will be put to death." She added as her left arm rose up and started to rub the back of Caden's neck. It seemed to calm him, and she hoped that he could forgive her under the circumstances.

"If you don't mind." Trish began before she quickly cast a glance toward Brom, who quickly got up and walked to the area to the left of the staircase that led to the next level. "We can continue this conversation tomorrow morning before you leave. I can see from your daughter, that she is very tired. Brom is getting the guest bedroom ready and you can take that for the night."

"Thank you." Katherine thanked her with a smile on her lips and soft tears welling up at the corners of her eyes. The memory of the bandit in the woods making itself the forefront memory which caused her heart rate to rise. She shivered at the thought of what he would do to her and Ren if he was allowed to proceed. And how many others like him roamed the forests?

She felt safe by Caden's side and could only hope that he could forgive her for the charade that she had to put on for the sake of not being thrown out of the village. In her defence, she knew that Caden would not force himself within the confines of the village, so she had no other choice.

After a couple dozen minutes, the guest room was ready and Brom entered the lounge to inform them accordingly.

The room was quaint. With a large king size bed in the middle against the far end of the room. And two wooden closest on either side of the room. Two small dressing room tables lined the walls on either side of the door. It was a fair assumption to say that this room was meant for a married couple, or a couple that were going to be with each other regardless.

Caden, who was carrying Ren, didn't pay it any mind as he walked into the room, giving Brom a short nod of his head as a thank you. He placed Ren down onto the bed gently making sure not to disturb her sleep. However, she still did not let go of him. Causing him to get into the bed as well. With him of the left side of the bed and Ren in the middle. Katherine, with a blush upon her cheeks, slowly got onto the other side of the bed.

The room was lit by four candle torches. Two on the far wall that the bed lay against, and one on the walls on either side of the bed. Neither Katherine or Caden got up to blow the candles out.

They lay in the bed for a few minutes with neither falling asleep.

"Caden?" Katherine asked softly wondering if he was still awake. She lay with her back to him, as she didn't want him to see the embarrassment clearly shown on her face.

"Yes?" He answered without hesitation. Clearly he was not asleep, nor did it seem like he was trying.

"You don't hate me for today, right?" She asked softly, not wanting to hear the answer if it was negative.

"You did what you needed to for Ren. I can't hate you for that." He replied with a soft voice. Both not wanting to wake up Ren. After the events of the day, she needed to rest.

"Thank you." Katherine said as a smile crossed her lips. Genuine happiness invaded her body at his response. She was unaware, but she was falling more and more for the fallen hero.