~THIRTEEN~

"Tom w-wait." I tugged his arm down. He gave me a confused look but I kept tugging.

The door to the car opened and I stepped out from behind Tom and took a step closer, "Alex?"

Just like that did I realize this web of lies was going to jeopardize my future with Alex. I felt sick in the pit of my stomach and of course I couldn't build up the courage to say anything. Like always he was the first to speak up. So much for wanting to change.

"So this is the real you?" Alex scoffed with a fake smile on his face. He clicked his tongue and took a step closer and Tom tried stepping in front of me but I tugged on his sleeve.

"Leave us alone." I instructed

His eyes looked worried, "But Miss, I don't-"

"Please just follow my orders Tom. I'll be right in." I said in a low voice but he heard and his eyes went wide.

"Miss? So he isn't even your uncle like you had told me?" Alex pulled on his hair.

Tom nodded as he ignored Alex's comment and walked inside. I turned my attention to a frustrated looking Alex.

"I'm sorry." I whispered only loud enough for him to barely hear.

"Sorry for what Mia? For lying to me about practically everything? Do I even know the real you?" He asked with a croak, "Why was telling me all this so hard? I don't understand Mia. I thought you trusted me-"

"I thought you'd never want to talk to me if you knew about my life okay!" I yelled

His eyes widened even more and got close enough to grab my hand, "What made you think that? Did I ever give you the impression I would?"

I shake my head, "My life isn't as it seems." I sighed "You're probably thinking 'oh how hard can the life of a spoiled wealthy brat be'-"

"No, that is not what I am thinking."

"I was going to tell you Alex, I swear just when things got serious of course. It's not easy for me to talk about my life to just anyone"

"Ouch. So I am just anyone. Nothing else?" He seemed hurt. Shit that is not what I meant.

I shake my head vigorously, "No that's not what I meant. I wanted to make sure our relationship would go somewhere before I spilled my life to you. Like I said earlier my life is a huge mess. That's partially why I haven't talked to you in a while."

He nods, "Okay, would you like to tell me now then? I really would like to know who you are not the fake you."

It's now or never Mia.

"Okay, uhm let's go inside it's getting chilly out." I begin my way up the door.

"alright." He agrees and as I open the door I see Matilda whisper yelling at Tom but both stop once I walk inside.

I turn to Alex and his mouth is partly opened as he takes in what he is seeing. I mentally roll my eyes and look back at Tom and with my look I tell him it's okay.

"Are you hungry? Anything to drink?" I offer Alex before I lead him into the study.

"Uhm just water if that's okay?" Alex tells me

I nod and look back at Matilda, "Please, Make that two Matilda." She nods and hurries away.

"Is she like your maid?" Alex asked

"Uhm she's in charge of keeping the home the way my parents liked it. She's also the cook. So basically yes. But she's like family." I smile

He nods understandingly.