Chapter 2

We had arrived on the island only a few days ago. What many people don’t know, is that I was born on the ship, not on the island. Mother went into labor a month early, while they were on the ship. I was born in the hold. My mother and Father told me that the ship was extremely uncomfortable, with atrocious rooms and no proper wash space.

The sightings began after my grandfather had left to get supplies. At first, my friend’s mother saw a strange figure in the darkness of the trees. Soon after, another man saw creatures walking around on the beach. The settlers were so scared that they asked, or rather, begged, my father, the standing Governor in Grandfather’s absence, to investigate. Father told a group of men to stand guard overnight, and he, heroically, volunteered to be one of them.

My father returned the next morning with blood on his face and all over his uniform. I never forgot what my father told me the next morning. He said that he and his men were standing guard along the border of the forest. Then, one of the soldiers heard a strange gurgling sound.

“What was that?” he asked, his knees shaking in the moonlit forest.

“It was probably nothing,” Father said. Then he saw it. A vicious, horrific beast, with flashing eyes that were as bright as the sun. My uncle, one of the soldiers, took a shot at it. The bullet bounced right off of it and hit my uncle right above his right eye. The beast took him and the rest of the soldiers, apart from Father. He went after the beast but tripped over a root, and when he got up again, the monstrosity had escaped. My father searched and searched, but there was no trace of that creature.

We kept hunting for the beast, but we only lost more settlers. Finally, after 3 months of searching, in the middle of winter, and we had found a dying creature. We killed it and burned its body.