Chapter 3

A year later, the hunters had come back from their trip around the island. Food was running low. They told my father that they had encountered the creature again, but that there was at least a dozen of them now. Everyone was terrified. We sent out another party, my father not included, and no one returned. We were truly shaken after this. Many settlers began planning to leave, including mother, but Father and I would not leave. We refused to leave the place that Grandfather had built.

So we prepared to stay in our home, while everyone else got ready to leave. Mother was the first to get on the boats leading to the ships. It was said that they were all going to live on the island of the wild men that we had scouted in early May. It’s September now.

Father and I managed to stay alive for the better part of a year, but then they came. It was the dead of night, and I suddenly saw flashes of a peculiar light strike through the dark sky. I believed that He must have been angry, but my father had other ideas. He ran to attack the beasts, but they slaughtered him like a pig. The creature roared with a sound that shook the island itself.

“Father,” I shouted, my heart shattering like a mirror. “Noooooo!”

“Father, please don’t leave me. Father!” I pleaded to God that he couldn’t have died, for the hope that He could save him. Then, I saw the creatures that killed him. They were an arm's length in front of the house.

The monstrosities entered the house, the silver moonlight bathing them in a light so bright, I was momentarily stunned. It was as if they created the light. I ran for the woods and the beasts began to chase me. I reached the brink of the forest, and then I saw them. Dozens of beasts, standing in front of me. They took me to their ship and put me in a room. It was miserable. They only had enough edible (human) food for meals just enough so that we wouldn't die. We travelled for several years stopping at different planets (at least that's what u thought they were) to refuel and get more supplies.