five

HE LOOKED AT ME LIKE THERE WAS SOMETHING IN ME WORTH LOOKING AT

finn said goodbye to millie as she walked into her house, not forgetting to say thank you again to him for the millionth time for bailing her out. she had been in and out of that place for almost two years over little things like trespassing and similar situations like that, but this time was different. there had never been anyone besides her relatives, definitely not her mother, who have given the police money to set her free. when finn did it, it felt like he cared.

millie quietly closed the door behind her as finn walked off in the opposite direction to go home, pressing her back against it and closing her eyes with a delighted expression on her face. she walked into her kitchen to get to the staircase that lead to her bedroom, but noticed her mother sitting at the kitchen table with a cigarette in one hand and a small glass of scotch in the other, chugging down the shot-sized liquid as millie entered.

"so where have you been, young lady?" her mother said as she laughed a little at the end, finding it somewhat funny that she even asks where her daughter had been. it's not like she cares.
definitely not as much as finn.

"out." millie simply said in reply, adding her hint of sarcasm that she says with almost everything. her mother pours another shot of scotch into her glass, chugging it down almost as soon as the drink stops coming out of its bottle.

she turned to look back up at millie, who had pulled out a single cigarette from its boxed packaging and a blue lighter, firing up the other end of the stick as she placed it between her lips and taking a long drag, blowing the smoke into the open air.

"a young girl like you shouldn't be smoking 'ya know." she said to millie, who scoffed in response to her mothers silly words. she grabbed the ash tray that was next to her mother and put out the burning cigarette, wasting most of it, and going up to her own bedroom.

"and a mother like you should care." millie said quietly to herself after she had already closed her bedroom door, away from her mothers line of earshot, and decided to sit alone with her thoughts until she would go to bed.

⌲⌲⌲

it had been 2 weeks since the arrest, the bailout, and the stealing. finn and millie have kept their distances in the halls, only seeing each other in the one class they shared together and of course in their after-school detentions.

millie stayed away from finn because she was afraid of the risks she was putting him in, but knew how much he enjoyed the rush she gave him when trouble found its way to them. she never wants to be a burden on him, but wanted to show him some fun while she could.

finn stayed away from millie because he was afraid of how much he had grown to like the girl he used to hate. she gave him butterflies in his stomach when she would smile, or just talk with her enticing accent that made it hard to concentrate.

finn's mother and father had no idea about what he did to save millie, but his father only goes into the basement every 2 weeks to store more money in the safe.
which meant that when he would return home that night, he'd be in store for one hell of a shock.

⌲⌲⌲

finn walked along the sidewalk on his way home from detention, happy it was his last. a few grey clouds started forming above him, ringing of some thunder coming along with it, a few drops of water making its way onto finn's nose. he quickened his pace as more drops started to fall and soon drenching his light jacket.

he grabbed the silver house key out of his pocket as he walked up the steps to his home, placing it into the lock on the big red door and turning it. he slid his shoes off as he came inside, turning around to see his mother and father staring at him like he was crazy or had just done something incredibly stupid. finn guessed it was the latter.

"finn, we need to have a word with you." his father said in an emotionless voice. finn has never seen his father express a lot of emotions, and has barely ever seen his father for that matter, so it wasn't surprising when he talked like that.

they led finn into the kitchen where they all sat down in their own seats, both his mother and father resting their hands on the table as his father spoke up from the few seconds of silence.

his father sighed heavily, as if disappointment and a small dose of anger had rushed through him. "so i went down to the basement today," he started, finn immediately getting tense as he realized where his father was going with this conversation.

"and i happened to notice something...out of the ordinary. finn, do you know-" finn's father continued, but getting cut off by his son mid-sentence.

"okay, it was me! i took your money and bailed millie out of jail! im sorry but i had to do it! i had to!" finn yelled, getting up from his chair when he started speaking. his father hung his head down in disbelief, surprised his son had actually confessed to stealing from him. his mother, on the other hand, let a few stray tears fall from her eyes as she stood up and walked over to finn.

"i thought she was just a friend, finn, i thought you were a good boy." his mother whispered to him as more tears threatened to spill out from her eyes.

"well sometimes, mother, good boys change for a reason."

and with that, finn was gone from his parents' sight and up to his room, fully aware that he would be grounded until who knows when, and he was perfectly okay with it.

~

yes i know this update is late but i needed to post something and this is as much as i could write.

also, i might start making future chapters shorter because i am in school now and writing is just another thing to worry about with piles of homework to do. so expect shorter chapters (only like 700-900 words) and i hope you enjoyed this update !!

-shae