eight

PUT ME IN THE DIRT
LET ME DREAM WITH THE STARS

finn and millie talked more and more while still sitting at the gas station, putting whatever they wanted to say that was on their minds into the conversation and not caring if it made sense or not. they talked about the future, their pasts, and everything in between. finn spent more money on twizzlers as both of them finished off a whole package within the first hour and a half of him buying the first pack. they laid down flat on their backs on the concrete, looking up at the stars and pointing at which ones were actually stars or planes passing overhead. they laughed, a lot.

it was now 3:30a.m., finn had to be up for school in a few hours and so did millie, but neither of them seemed to care. they left the scene of the gas station, going hand in hand with their fingers intertwined towards millie's house so he could drop her off before heading back to his own house. the breeze as they walked down the sidewalk swept through their hair and against their faces, bringing a small chill with it. the smell outside made it seem like it had just rained, even though a single drop of water hasn't touched the ground since they've been out, and it brought peace to both teenagers.

finn would talk about the things he was passionate about on their way, going into depth and detail, never losing millie's attention. he would squeeze her hand just a little when he talked about something that made him happy, making her happy as well. she loved seeing him in this light, as the expressive boy she had never seen until a few months ago. the way she felt was so unfamiliar to her that it was almost terrifying. knowing that things are changing, and for the better, was something millie was not used to. she doesn't like change.

her expression turned from a happy smile into a look of abrupt terror, not facing the boy next to her during the mood change and instead faced the sidewalk they walked upon with her hair covering a majority of her face.

finn turned to her, "are you okay, millie?" he simply asked as she turned back towards him, discreetly slipping on the fake smile she needed. she nodded, not saying a word and let finn continue with what he was saying.

they walked for a little while longer before finally reaching millie's house, heading to the window that leads into her bedroom as to avoid making noise by going through the front door. she lifted the lower sash all the way up, climbing in with finn's help of a boost, and carefully slipped into the house without a scratch. millie turned back to the window and poked her head out to see finn still standing there, smiling. she smiled back as she looked down at him, telling him goodnight and watched as he walked into the distance to go home.

millie shut her window, turning the lock at the top and pulled the blinds down to cover it. the moon shines through the window and created a comforting feeling inside her, the thought of her drunken mother in the next room, being woken up by all the commotion coming from her daughters room, never crossed her mind.

~

howdy.

hopefully this was a decent update? it's short ik but i have been super busy. might update again soon? might not? who knows. anyway, i hope this was good enough for you guys because ily and i wanted to give ya something.

enjoy!