seven

WHAT IF HE STARES AT YOU EVERY TIME YOU LOOK AWAY?

the cool air hit both finn and millie's faces, the breeze brushing through their hair with ease as they walked slowly along the city sidewalks. the town seemed dead, with nothing but a few cars every once in a while rushing past them and soon disappearing into the distance. all of the shops were closed, with the exception of a few convenience stores, and the only available light to see anything were the street lamps that hung high above their heads on metal posts.

both of the teens looked ahead of them, staring off into the distance at nothing in particular, just the emptiness of the little town they live in. well, that's what millie was doing. finn, however, was just admiring the girl beside him. he felt like fate had brought them together. the two of them spotted one of the gas stations that was open 24 hours, finn telling millie he had enough money for one snack and that they could share it, also telling her that pulling another scheme out of her sleeve to not pay for it wasn't necessary. the one they chose to walk into was clearly run down, dirty, and smelled of old coffee.

millie quickly grabbed a big bag of twizzlers, cheap enough for finn to buy and the easiest thing to eat on-the-go. they walked up to the cash counter, seeing a middle-aged man reading the newspaper and listening to staticky music through a radio station, both of them having to get his attention away from the paper to ring them up. after he told them the cost, finn handed the man a crumpled 5 dollar bill and proceeded to get the correct change.

after telling each other to have a good day, the unknown man went back to reading the paper as finn and millie left the building. "have a hangout spot in mind, wolfhard?" millie playfully asked the boy next to her as they sat down on the cement curb right in front of the building, not expecting much of an answer from him as there was no desirable place to go in the crummy old town both of them called home. the two of them sat on the cement outside, sharing a bag of cherry twizzlers with the neon lights coming from the gas station flickering behind their backs.

they sat in silence for a few moments, eating the treat finn bought and listened to the muffled sound of a radio playing a song from inside. millie turned to him, her face filled with curiosity and slight confusion, "have you ever felt useless to the world, finn?" she asked. finn turned to face her, puzzled as to why she suddenly called him by his first name, one of the only times she's ever done so.

"what makes you say that?" he questioned.

she looked back at the ground for a few moments before gazing at him once more, almost like she was afraid to give her answer. "it's just...nothing. never mind, forget i said anything." she quickly spewed out, wanting no more attention from the boy.

he nudged her arm with his elbow, wanting her to continue, "you can tell me anything, whatever it is."

she took a deep breath, finally getting the nerve to talk. "it's my mother. she's never been there for me, certainly not like you have, and...i just wish things would change for me. that i could just leave her and everything else behind."

"she can suck it." he joked with her.

millie laughed with him, not minding that the time for sharing was done and she didn't have to tell him anything else, and grabbed another piece of candy. finn turned to the ground again, "you know, i like spending time with you, brown." he said as he looked at the dirty cement the sat upon, millie doing the same as she took a bite out of her candy.

"and i like spending time with you, wolfhard." she responded after swallowing, smiling afterward.

he turned to her, trying to work up his nerves. she finally turned to look at him, the feeling of his eyes burning into her head, and saw that he didn't try to look away. they just stared into each other's eyes, the world around them starting to disappear and the already small gap between them getting smaller.

finn quickly leaned in and pecked millie's lips, only for a few seconds but still long enough to catch her attention. they pulled apart, millie's lips still lingering around waiting for finn to reattach himself to her, and just held their positions a small distance from one another with their eyes flickering from each other's eyes to lips every few seconds.

finn smiled and quickly turned back to the ground in front of them, feeling a wave of embarrassment yet happy with the chance he took.

finn wolfhard truly did love millie brown, and he wasn't going to let anything kill that love.

~

hey dudes i hope you liked this update! sorry updates are slow, school 'n stuff.

hopefully i'll be able to update more regularly and im sorry about not already doing that but,,life ya know.

enjoy!