Chapter Twenty

Ravenheart was awakened by many meows in the clearing. When she exited the nursery she noticed that the dawn patrol had returned and many cats were flashing glances at the medicine cat den.
     "What has happened?" She asked Brackenpelt.
     "The dawn patrol brought back two injured kits," she whispered back.
    Ravenheart's eyes widened. "Where did they come from?"
      "They had Darkclan scent all over them and... Their mother was found dead not far from them. We recognized her as one of the horse place cats."
      Ravenheart pushed through the crowd and entered the medicine cat den. She saw the two medicine cats working on the two small bodies.
      "Need any help?" She murmured.
       Willowshine nodded. "Could you lay next to them and clean their fur? They are quiet filthy,"
      Ravenheart settled down next to the two kits and started to lick their fur. One was a Brown and black tom. The other was a reddish brown she cat. She was much smaller than ber brother and they both seemed under fed.

..................

          Ravenheart watched her kits play. It was sunhigh. It had been a moon since the two kits had arrived. They had been sickly in the medicine cat's den. Today they were soppose to leave the den for the first time.

        It had been discover that they were five moons old(now six moons). Their names were Chloe and Jack. Their mother had been kidnapped  with them and their three siblings by Darkclan when they were a moon old. Two died in the three moons after they arrived from sickness and lack of food. Their mother, Cassie, tried to save the remaining three kits. She ran with the last three but, Kylee was recaptured. Luckily the mother and two kits had made it into River clan territory. Sadly, their mother was to weak to continue on and died. The two kits continued on but were to tired to continue far and soon collapsed from exhaustion. 

         Riverclan had been on high alert for Darkclan cats looking for lost cats since one of the kits told their story. Ravenheart had helped take care of them when she could along with her own kits. Today Mothwing said the two kits could move into the nursery.

        A meow announced the two kits coming out. The clan watched as the two kits walked out on weak legs lead by Willowshine. She had them lay down and stretch. She nodded to Ravenheart who stood to her paws and walked over.   

       "How does it feel to be outside?" She purred.

       "Great!" Chloe meowed excitedly.

     Ravenheart noticed her four kits watching. Slowly Poppykit walked over. "You look better then you use to look," Poppykit stated. The two kits dipped their heads. "Why do you have such weird names?"

           "Poppykit!" Exclaimed Ravenheart.

        "What? I was just asking," the tabby kit meowed.

       "They were born outside a clan. Clan names probably seem weird to them," Ravenheart explained.

       "Clan names aren't that weird to us any more," Jack meowed,". We grew up around clan names."

         Mistystar joined the group. "So do you have an answer for my question?" The she cat asked.

       Chloe nodded and looked to her brother. " We would love to join the clan," the tom kit meowed.

        "Do you wish to have clan names?" Mistystar asked 

       The two kits nodded.

      "Alright, Ravenheart will you help me? You are acting in place of their mother." 

       Ravenheart nodded and followed Mistystar to a quiet part of the clearing. Ravenheart noticed Poppykit lead the two over to her littermates.

       "I'm sure you have names already picked out. What are they?" Mistystar questioned.    

        "I think Juniperkit for Chloe would fit her. And I thought Jack reminds me of Ashed wood so I was thinking Ashkit."

        Mistystar nodded "I see where you got them, we will have their naming ceremony at Sunset