Chapter Twenty Two

Ravenheart stood watching her kits. Today they were being made apprentices. So far Ashpaw had been given to Havenpelt, Juniperpaw to Shimmerpelt, Cloudpaw to Beetlewhisker, Mosspaw to Owlnose, Poppypaw to Lizardtail. Now Breezepaw was the only one without a mentor.
       "Breezepaw your mentor will be Reedwhisker." Mistystar finished.
     The clan then went to chant the newly apprenticed cats names. "Ashpaw! Juniperpaw! Cloudpaw! Mosspaw! Poppypaw! Breezepaw!
      Ravenheart went up to congratulate her kits. All their eyes gleamed with excitement. Then their mentors lead them out of camp.
     Jayclaw came up beside. "Our kits will be the best warriors," he murmured.
     Ravenheart gave a purr," All of them,"
     Jayclaw nodded his eyes glowing. Then the glow lessened. "I do smell a battle coming soon. Darkclan won't stay peaceful forever. I hope they will have time to learn."
      Ravenheart's eyes softened. She licked her mate's ear. "We will have to hope Starclan wants none of them too early, but I don't know, none of do, what Starclan has planed for us."
..............
      Ravenheart was tackled to the ground. After a minute to recognize her daughter's scent, she easily sent the new apprentice flying. Ravenheart quickly turned around and placed her paw on Poppypaw's chest to pin her.
       "I don't think a day of training makes you quiet trained enough to take on a full grown warrior," Ravenheart purred letting her daughter up.
      Poppypaw shook her fur. "Lizardtail said the best advantage for an attack is by surprise!"
      "And it is, but it still isn't enough to take on a warrior!" Ravenheart meowed licking her daughter between the ears. "Why are you back so early? There is still time in the day."
     Poppypaw ears flattened and she looked at her paws. "I wasn't listening to Lizardtail and fell in the river in a dangerous part. He had to rescue me
..."
      Ravenheart gave a small sigh. "I hope you learned your lesson?"
      Poppypaw nodded," but I don't understand why I now have to deal with the elder's ticks!"
       "Well you need to learn to listen. Some day your life could depend on listening!"