It All Started With a Vision

(Listen while you read: "A Fateful Meeting" by James Newton Howard)

After a long day of tending to my people, Nala and I decided to take a much needed...and long overdue...walk through the depths of the jungle.

Today seemed to drag out longer than usual. What I saw last night shook me in a way I've never felt before. So much to the point where I couldn't shake myself away from thinking about it all day.

Nala took notice and suggested we go explore the jungle like we used to. Little did I know, she only suggested that to get me to talk...which wasn't difficult.

"So what's been on your mind today?" she began.

I looked at her a little uneasy. "Um, something happened to me last night."

"What do you mean?" I could tell Nala was becoming on edge, so I decided to reword my statement.

"Not physically," I began, "in my sleep."

"Oh so you had a dream?"

"Well, it was more like a vision."

"How can you differentiate the two?"

"Normally, if I have a regular dream, my memory of what happened in it would be slightly skewed. But visions are different. Especially the one I had last night. It was so haunting and bleak, yet I found so much beauty in it all that it wouldn't escape my mind."

As I finished telling Nala the impact of my vision, she found a spot on a large boulder to sit on while I leaned my head on her side.

"Well we have no where to go for the rest of today," she said. "Tell me about what you saw. And don't leave out any details."

I chuckled at how child-like Nala could be at times.

"Okay," I began, "well I was wandering through a very dim, dark place. It was massive, almost as big as the castles we hear about from across the seas. The details of it gave me chills. There were giant statues of massive figures carved in its walls, with various candles and incense surrounding them all. There were large structural openings that lead to other parts of what seemed like an ancient vessel of worship. Everywhere I walked there were small pits of fire. It was unlike anything I've ever seen.

The further I walked, I started to see a figure standing in the distance

The further I walked, I started to see a figure standing in the distance. Their back was turned to me, so I couldn't see what they looked like. But from judging the shape of the person's silhouette, I could tell that it was a female. Thinking she was lost, I cautiously approached her and gently touched her shoulder to get her attention. She turned around, and my body instantly froze. She was the most beautiful sight. Long, jet black hair, whose strands seemed to float like magic, beautiful, dark skin that shined effortlessly under the dim light. And those eyes...

 And those eyes