01. Programs, Dimensions, Fonts & More

Okay babies, let's start with your first lesson!

1. PROGRAMS

Many of us already know the programs that are quite popular for graphic designing. But some of us are still clueless. I know I was when I first started designing. Believe me, my first graphic design, I don't even think you can call it that but yeah, it was just a photo that I took and added filters and hand wrote the title on the mobile. It was really bad.

I didn't know there were programs for graphic designing till I accidentally stumbled on some website I think, not sure. But anyway, let's get back to the matters at hand.

What programs do you use?

Well, there are many programs which you can use. Some are:

- Photoshop - It's no surprise that many graphic designers use this software and for good reason as well. It offers many things and is quite easy to work with. You do have to buy it but that doesn't mean there aren't any YouTube videos or sites which tell you how to get Ps without buying it. If you want to download it legally, adobe.com for PC and for mobile users, just go to Play Store or iOS app store and download it. Some, like Lightroom, are free.

- Pixlr - I'd recommend this if you can't buy Ps. I use the web launcher but Pixlr is available as an app for mobile users as well. It offers features that are quite close to but less than those of Photoshop. It's easy to use as well and is free.

- Gimp - I haven't used this yet but I've heard that it is super good. It's mainly a web launcher but it's available as an app for mobile users as well. It's free and offers many features. You can download this app from Play Store or iOS App Store.

- Canva - This software doesn't offer a lot of stuff as in cutting out but the fonts and filters offered are really good. I'd recommend this app to finish off your graphic once you're done with all the editing and stuff.

- PicMonkey - This is good if you're a beginner/intermediate. The fonts given are good and you can use it to practice a lot. This too is mainly a web launcher but it's available as an app for mobile users as well. It's free and offers many features. You can download this app from Play Store or iOS App Store.

- Superimpose - I haven't used this but it's supposed to be really good, especially for blending. It's mainly for mobile users and you have to pay to use.

- PicsArt - This again, is for mobile users and is a really good app. It's easy to work with and offers many (not all) features that Photoshop offers as well. It's a free app that you can download from Play Store or iOS App Store.

- Phonto - This is a free app for mobiles which offers tons of fonts. They're really good and free and so, I definitely recommend this app. It's mainly for fonts. You can download this app from Play Store or iOS App Store.

- Ibispaintx -This app is probably the closest thing to photoshop you can find on mobile. You may know this app to be good with drawing manga and other useful art related things, but it can also be used to make amazing covers and other graphics as well as a digital painting app. Learn more on how to use it in the later chapters.

Other than these, there are many apps such as Pixellab, Affinity Photo and so on, but these are ones that many are familiar with and those that offer many features.