Annabeth XVI

The atmosphere around them seemed to tense in a split second. Annabeth took in a deep breath.

“What do you want?” she asked in a slightly shaky voice. 

The female voice on the other side of the phone laughed. 

What do you think, daughter of Athena?" 

Annabeth narrowed her eyes suspiciously. Why did her voice sound so familiar...? 

"My son hasn't done anything wrong. It wasn't his fault that he was born to the sea god." Sally answered the question for Annabeth. "Let him go." 

"Says the one who gave birth to him." The voice said sarcastically. "And he's not going anywhere."

"What do you want?" Annabeth repeated, sounding slightly annoyed. The voice laughed. 

"I knew you'd never be able to guess what I want. I'm actually calling for a request." 

"Why should we comply to your request, you phony? You took Percy!" Katie answered aggressively. The voice tittered. 

"Please remember that your best friend is in my hands. Mind your language, Demeter girl.

"What is your request?" Annabeth asked. 

"Do not tell anyone about Perseus's disappearance." The voice answered coldly. "Especially his father. Unless you don't want to see him again." 

"Why?" Thalia asked curiously. The voice scoffed and ignored her.

“You’d never know whether we’ve told anyone else.” Katie countered. “Unless…” 

We’ve got spies at camp.” 

For a moment, Annabeth tensed in self-consciousness. 

“Let me hear his voice.” 

A moment of silence. 

Why?” 

“How would I know whether you had already killed him?” Annabeth explained with an agonising tone in her voice. “Maybe he’s already dead. Maybe you’re only using us for your own benefits.” 

Another moment of silence. 

He’s sleeping.” the voice answered. “Don’t worry. He’s sleeping quite soundly, as a matter of fact.” 

“But-” 

"I hope you will see your boyfriend alive when you find him.” The voice concluded. Then the line went dead. 

"Di Immortales!" Annabeth cursed loudly, slamming her fist to a nearly tree trunk. "That little…” 

“Is…” Sally started, choking on her own tears. “Is Percy…dead?” 

“No.” Thalia, Katie and Annabeth answered in unison. 

“Actually what I’m thinking is,” Annabeth started, before the other two could continue, “why did she forbid us from telling Lord Poseidon about Percy’s disappearance.” 

 Thalia shrugged and looked at Katie for suggestions, who was looking at Sally. 

“Mrs Jackson?” 

“I don’t know.” Sally sighed, twisting the corner of her shirt anxiously. “Maybe she didn’t want the gods to know?” 

“But if it was the case, she would have stated all the gods… instead of just one… who…” 

A look of sudden realisation dawned in Annabeth’s eyes. 

“Thalia?” 

“Yes?” 

“Iris-message the gods.” Annabeth said, her voice turning cold again. “We have to tell Poseidon about Percy.” 

What?” 

“If you tell Poseidon, Percy’s gonna die!” Katie tried to persuade Annabeth to drop the idea. Annabeth shook her head and fetched a drachma from Thalia’s pocket. (“Hey!”) She twirled the drachma between her fingers tensely. 

“Can’t you see? It all makes sense now.” Annabeth’s eyes were filled with both relief and anxiety. “She’s smarter than I thought. I wouldn’t be surprised if she were Athena herself.” 

“What’s her plan?” Thalia urged. Annabeth turned to Thalia and smiled deliriously. 

“Let’s just hope Poseidon still has his senses by now.” 

And with that she ran to the fountain. 

But she was too late to find out. 

Because at the same time, a video-image had appeared in Olympus. 

It was too late to save both Percy and Poseidon.