The Halloween Troll

It was Halloween, everything was going perfect. Harry and Hermione were shooting each other smiles and enjoying their night.

"Has anyone seen Ron? He was supposed to meet me here almost half an hour ago." Neville seemed worried, but he was quite the worrier.

Harry and Hermione shook their heads, how could they think about Ron now?

Dean Thomas looked up. "He said he was heading to the library to find ways to battle a troll."

Everybody found that quite amusing. He wasn't talking about any ordinary troll he was talking about a 20 foot mountain troll.

Time had passed and they were going on enjoying their feast.

"TROLL! TROLL IN THE DUNGEON!" Yelled Professor Quirrell.

Harry and Hermione gave each other nervous-petrified glance and headed straight to the dungeon.

They could hear the professors call after them and many worried cries from the Slytherins table but they knew Ron had gotten himself into major trouble this time and although he was not their friend, they couldn't let him take on the troll by himself.

"This way Harry, I can hear them!" Hermione signaled with her hand

"That's Snape's office" Harry said conflicted on what to do

"We-we would get into trouble for going in there." Hermione hated getting into trouble.

They looked at each other and proceeded, they weren't going to back out now.

"AAARRGHH!" Ron was being held by the foot of an enormous mountain troll. The troll's bushy and uneven eyebrows showed the confusion it must have been thinking.

"RON! Stay put! We'll get you down!" Harry couldn't believe he was trying to save the guy that had insulted his best friend on their way to Hogwarts.

"Hermione, distract the troll." Harry yelled across the room trying to think of a plan.

"Hey!" Hermione yelled with confidence, which she must have lost by the time the troll turned around because she took a small step back and gave a weak smile.

The troll dropped his club, and lowered the arm with Ron. He was approaching a terrified Hermione when Harry remembered what they had learned in Charms earlier that day.

Wingardium Leviosa

"Wingardium Leviosa!" Harry yelled at the club and hovered it over the troll's head.

The troll looked up but not before Harry dropped the club.

Ron fell free from the troll's grip and scurried out of the way of the troll who was about to faint.

"Harry, Hermione, I'm so-" Ron began until he was cut off by Professor McGonagall, Snape and Quirrell all walking into the Slytherin head master's office.

"Minerva, these kids, they were absolutely reckless tonight, and should be informed the seriousness of this situation." Snape had always hated Harry, and now he knew this would only contribute to that hatred.

"Yes, Mr. Potter, we had high expectations  for you, Mr. Weasley, your brother, Percy is a prefect, you should know better and Ms. Granger, I am utterly surprised at this behavior from you."

"Don't just give them a lecture! They will forget about it the next day! They need consequences for their actions!" This was it. He'd be expelled, a teacher hated him since day 1, and now he is furious and telling his house headmaster to punish him.

"Yes, Ron you were in here first I assume as you were not at the feast and
Harry and Hermione ran down to the dungeon not that long ago." Was McGonagall going to expell Ron? Only Ron?

"I thought I could defeat the troll. Everyone talks about how amazing Harry is I wanted people to see me as the hero. Harry and Hermione were only trying to help. I would've died if it weren't for them." Ron had a great sense of appreciation in his voice.

"5 points will be taken from Gryffindor for those actions..." McGonaagall hadn't even finished her sentence when Snape showed a smile.

Harry lowered his head. He had just been embarrassed infront of Snape.

Then something caught his eye. Snape's black pants were ripped and stained with blood. Snape noticed and covered the leg with his cloak.

"And 5 points will be awarded to Granger and Potter for sheer stupidity and luck." McGonagall showed a faint smile. "Now, head to your dormitories, its late."

•••••
•••••

Harry bid Hermione goodnight and she smiled and rubbed her eyes. It was evident that she was exhausted from defeating the troll.

Harry and Ron made their way to the first years' dormitory without a word. Harry had gotten into bed before Ron had said something.

"Harry, how'd you know, that-that I was there...in the dungeon."

"Well, Neville was wondering where you were and Dean flat out said you were researching ways to battle a troll. No one thought much of it until Quirrell came in panicking about a troll...Hermione and I put 2 and 2 together and ran to the dungeon where the troll was said to be."

"Oh" Ron was taking it in "she's clever isn't she...she is pretty, I mean most guys wouldn't think so, but to me..."

Harry stopped listening. He wanted to be Ron's friend, he truly did, Hermione was his best friend and probably always will be but it would be nice to have a boy his age to hang out with.

That git. Thought Harry

We saved his life and he likes Hermione...I have nothing to worry about, Hermione couldn't like him, after all he'd done to her.

Or could she?