Chapter 7: Rain, Rain, Go Away

Clouds stretched across the sky and raindrops began to fall as Krystal stood beside her father, gathered with him and the entire Royal Guard at the location of Atticus' burial site. As if the day couldn't become more dismal after the loss of a friend and loved one, the blackening of the sky and coming of rain only darkened the atmosphere. Krystal gazed mournfully at the gloomy tunnel ahead of her, leading deeper into the hillside behind the Royal Palace where the catacombs of the village lay hidden beneath. Just hours ago, her dear friend and comrade Atticus had been slain in battle before her eyes, and a burial ceremony had been held to grieve for him only moments ago.

After the battle leading up to Atticus' death, the Royal Guard had assembled in a funeral procession, carrying the feline's body from the palace to the burial place of their ancestors by following a trail leading behind the hillside. It was a quiet and somber walk as Krystal followed her father, flanked by his guards on either side as they went on in silence. Sera and Fero followed behind Sera's father, while Savannah trailed behind the wooden coffin carrying her brother's body.

Before Atticus was taken into the tunnel to be laid in his final resting place among his ancestors, several of the guards shared words over their comrade's passing. Atticus and Savannah had been without parents for many years, being orphaned as small children during the last great war that had brought peace to Cerinia for all these years since. Both of their parents had been slain in battle with neighboring villages, and the two children had grown up in the hands of the Royal Guard ever since. Savannah was the only of her family left, the first to speak on the behalf of her deceased sibling.

Tears filled the young feline's eyes and she had to pause more than once to catch her breath, speaking of how close the two had been especially given their circumstances. They felt welcomed and loved within the guard, but it sometimes seemed like it was just them against the world. When it came to family, they only had each other. It was truly heartbreaking for her to lose her everything in Atticus, especially at such a young age. She went on to say that he gave his life nobly and honorably, just as their parents had done for them. By the end of her speech Krystal was in tears, and even her father seemed to be quite defeated by this unexpected loss.

Several other members of the Royal Guard shared some words, including Sera's father. As captain of the guard, he made mention of Atticus' skills and talents, changing the subject from grief and despair to a celebration of the life of their friend. In his youth, the skilled warrior had established his place among the ranks of Cerinian warriors in their village, and fought to defend those he loved and cared about until the very end.

When all those who were willing to speak had said their final words, Savannah assisted the guards as they carried Atticus' casket inside the tombs, where she said her final goodbye to her brother and lifelong friend. Clouds darkened the sky and the rain began to downpour as the ceremony came to a close. Krystal waited beside her father, standing in silence as she and others stood vigil over the catacombs before departing for home. She and her father were joined by Fero, Sera and her father, Savannah, and several of the Royal Guard as they spent their last moments in mourning.

As rain began to drench Krystal's fur and clothes, she bowed her head and clenched her fists at her sides, still partially blaming herself for what happened to Atticus. Indifferent to the cold, wet feeling clinging to her body, the vixen couldn't help but feel that she should have been stronger. She was there when it all happened, she was helpless to watch as her friend fell victim to the ruthless fox, Revan. If only I had done more, then maybe Atticus might still be alive...

Savannah approached, distracting her from her thoughts. As she shared a sorrowful glance with Krystal, Sera, and Fero, the four friends embraced each other in a circle, each one lending as much comfort and support to Savannah as possible. There was no need to share words; they were something of a family, the bonds between them only becoming stronger at the loss of Atticus.