e x p l a n a t i o n

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

— ♛ —

— ♛ —▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

— ♛ —
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

Why did you write this story?

The inspiration for this story was found shortly before I was heading on a trip for my birthday that would involve me meeting up with my father.

This triggered memories from this past Christmas time that involved my father saying that my sexuality did not exist, walking away from me in an empty parking lot at night, and basically insinuating that I was a bitch. I captured that pain and changed the story from its original intended purpose of letters centering on my grandmother, to letters about my father.

Why did you give the character a name?

I needed to separate the character from myself. Even though the Barclay and I share issues of the fatherly kind, I wanted her to be a different person. Though we have many of the same experiences we lead to very different lives, and I hope to bring some of our differences to life in another composition.

Why did her father never reply?

There are people who are not cut out to be parents. Though they may love the children that they have, they are not equipt to carry out parental deeds. Barclay's father was one of these people.

What's up with the ending?

The fact of the matter is that although fathers and daughters get therapy, and try to learn learn to understand each other, sometimes it's better for both parties to make a clean break. As was the case with Barclay and her father.

In the future will there be a reunion?

I do not think this in the cards at the moment but I have thought that anything is possible if you believe in it enough.

Do you hate your father / deadbeat dads in general?

No, I will always love my dad. It's just that sometimes we are better off apart from each other. But I do strongly dislike deadbeat dads who choose to stay in the the picture even when their presence benefits nothing, and they are more of a detriment than a help.

Questions for my readers:

Do you think Barclay's decision was wise? How do you feel about her father's choice?

Do you think he deserves another chance?

━━━━━━━

Thank you all so much for reading. You have been an amazing audience to write for, and I cannot wait to do so again.

— sincerely, a writer who is overjoyed at the love she has received on this platform