Chapter 1 Bad News

As I got onto the bus I had a feeling that something amazing and bad was going to happen when I got home. 

                                                                         **************************

I got off the bus and practically ran to my house. I slowed to a steady walk, and stopped beside the corner to catch my breath. When I finally caught my breath I walked around the corner, and not to my surprise I found Jake standing on my front porch facing the forest. When he finally turned around his eyes widened in surprise and then softened almost instantly. "Well, well, well. If it isn't Maya Metcalf." 

"You say that like your surprised, but why would you be? You're standing on my front porch." I said as I started walking towards him. When he smirked at what I said, he hugged me. "Do you want to go for a walk or do you want to go inside and meet my embarrassing parents?" I asked him, hoping he said the moonlit walk. 

He smiled again and said, "I think you already know the answer."

"Alright, just let me put my stuff down in my room." When I went into the house I hollered to my parents, "Mom, Dad, I'm going for a walk with Jake." 

I waited a few seconds then heard mom reply in a teasing tone, "Isn't Jake the boy that you have had a crush on since Elementary school?"

"MOM!" I yelled in anger and fun. I felt my face turn red. I turned around to see if I left the door open. And of course with my luck I did. I felt my face turn even more red and hoped Jake didn't hear.

"I'm just teasing you Maya. Have fun and be back before midnight."

"Thank you!" I yelled, as I walked up the stairs I wondered what was so important that Jake had to tell me outside of school. Maybe it had to do with the missing Print Wolves, as scientist like to call us. I threw my bag onto the bed and rushed back outside before my mom could say anything else embarrassing. When I got back outside, Jake was standing with his back against the railing. I stopped in my tracks to admire him. God was he hot.  I shook myself back to reality. He finally realized I was there and flashed that winning smile at me. I smiled back, glad that we where such good friends. "Come on, let's go. You didn't hear what my mom said did you?" I asked hesitantly.

"Yeah I heard every word."He said looking down, trying to hide the red tint coming up on his cheeks, but I already saw it.

I laughed,  "Sorry about that, my mom really likes to embarrass me." We walked through the forest in silence for a while. Until Jake broke the silence.

"Maya have you watched the News lately? They are taking more and more Print Wolves. And they are getting dangerously close to your pack. Your their alpha, you've taken an oath to protect them, what are you going to do?"

I hung my head and sighed, "To be honest I really don't know. I mean what can I do they have so many weapons and....." I stopped when I realized I was slowly crying. "My pack is my family, and I don't want to lose them. Wait I think I may have an idea, but I'm going to need your help. You and your pack live in the Western area, right?" I said wiping the tears away.

"Yeah so?" 

"So...If you can get a message to the Southern pack's alpha then I can get a message to the Eastern pack's alpha."

"Are you doing what I think your doing?"

In unison we both said "An Alpha Meeting!"