Chapter 18 - Lunch Break

{Friday 7 July + Saturday 8 July}

~ Charlie's POV ~

"Sounds like you had a good time," my mum says grinning. I nod blushing and take a sip of my hot chocolate. 

"Anyway, you should go to bed hun, you have work in the morning" she continues, getting up off the couch. I nod and quickly finish my drink before heading upstairs and getting ready for bed. 

I slide into bed and snuggle under the covers, smiling. I feel myself drifting off into a peaceful sleep.

I wake up crying. I'm covered in sweat but I don't care. I reach over to my bedside table and grab my phone. I unlock it and dial his number before holding it to my ear, praying that he will pick up. 

First ring. Second ring. Finally, he picks up. 

"Morning Angel," Ryder says groggily through the phone. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. 

"You know it's four in the morning right? Did you miss me already?" he asks smirking. Suddenly, tears start streaming down my face as I remember the dream. I sniff, wiping them away, trying to be quiet so he wouldn't hear but it was too late. 

"Angel what's wrong," he asks, worry clearly present in his voice. 

"I had a dream that someone killed you," I say sniffling as the tears start to stream down my face again. 

"It was so real. It was like I was there and I couldn't do anything to help, he just killed you". 

"What did they look like," he asks wearily. 

"He was in dark jeans and no shirt and had big black wings coming out of his back. He looked like some kind of angel thing" I whisper in between sniffs. I hear shuffling in the back and start to wonder what he's doing. 

"Ryder" I whisper nervously. 

"Hmmm? Sorry, Angel. I'm coming to your house, gimme 10 minutes" he replies quietly before ending the call.

True to his word, Ryder pulls up in my driveway 10 minutes later. I wrap myself in blankets and pad down the hallway and stairs to the front door. I open the door quietly to reveal a worried Ryder standing on my doorstep. 

He walks in and I lock the door behind him and we make our way over to the couch. I turn a lamp on so it's not totally dark and sit down beside him. We sit in silence for a moment, his gaze fixed on me. 

The tears start to roll down my cheeks and he scoops me into his arms and holds me close. I snuggle into him, crying even harder as he rubs my back and massages my head. I eventually calm down until I am just sniffling again and he kisses the top of my head. 

"Is this normal?" he asks quietly. I nod and look up at him. 

"The dreams started when my dad died, I'd have them every single night" I start in between sniffs. 

"The day I met you was the last night I had one, the night after that was the first peaceful night I've had in two weeks. But tonight I had one again, except it was slightly different. Usually, it's the same dream over and over again but this time it was different". 

"What happened in the first dream?" Ryder asks holding me tighter. 

"I would always be attacked by a man dressed in all black and he would talk to me inside my head before attacking me and I would wake up screaming or crying" I whisper, tears threatening to fall.