Prologue

AN: kind of late if you already read the other two chapters...... e.o

The gun shook in Star’s trembling hands. His eyes were wide and crazed, his breathing labored. Tears had stained his cheeks and made his eyes red and puffy. The teen’s clothing was ragged and torn and blood dripped down the side of his face. He sighed in defeat and set the gun down for a moment, examining the necklaces and chains he wore. His eyes trailed down to his wrists, where there were burns from ropes and scars from being tied up.

A loud laugh escaped his mouth. Star lay down, clutching his stomach as he laughed, his eyes closed tight. After a few minutes he settled down for a small chuckle. The gun lay a few feet away and he made a reach for it, snatching it off the ground. “Oh! What have I done?” He yelled, giggling. “It’s just so much!” He pressed the gun to his head.

“Star! Star!” A girl dashed up the steps that lead to the stone platform where he lay, chuckling still, on the ground. “Stop being such an idiot!” She yelled, her blonde hair whipping in the wind. “Put that gun down! NOW. You are coming back with me this instant!” Star just smiled, stood up, and walked over to her.

He set the gun down and cupped her face in his hands. “Katie… Katie…” He whispered. She stared at him with wide and scared eyes. “You know I wouldn’t do anything to hurt you. This is for your own good!” He whispered. Katie shivered slightly.

She pushed him away, sending him stumbling to the ground. “No, this is not for my own good. You’re being a stupid idiot and you know it,” She said. “You have no idea what you’re saying! Just come back. We all want you there.”

“But I’m useless…” The boy said while pulling himself to his feet. “They’re after me… I have to go. To protect you!” He insisted.

“We can protect you. Stop doubting us and let us help!” Katie cried. Star stood, staring at her. He slowly stepped forward and pulled her into his arms, laughing.

“You actually think you could help me?” He chuckled. Katie nodded. “You’re so stupid! Nothing can help me and you know it.” Katie cringed at his words and pulled away again. Star was only chuckling now.

Star reached up and cupped her face again. “I love you, though.” He whispered.

“I love you, too,” Katie replied.

The boy grasped her chin and pulled her close, kissing her softly. She kisses him back and they stood there, now in an embrace. Star had calmed down and now stared off into the distance. Katie had calmed down too and now clung to him like he was everything in the world.

Star suddenly stepped back, picking up the gun again. Katie reached out to stop him, but he hit her hand away. “I have to go now, okay? I know they want me and I know I’m ready.” Following those sort words was a loud gunshot. Katie covered her ears and cringed. She opened her eyes to see Star lying on the ground, blood splattered. Tears rolled down her cheeks as she crouched beside him.

“I love you… We all love you…” She whispered over and over. She brushed the tears from her eyes and forced a smile, which faded fast.

Katie sat there for what seemed like hours until her brother came up. He sat beside her, wrapping one arm around her shoulder and whispering comforting lines. Tears also formed at the edge of his eyes.