CHAPTER ONE: The Encounter

September 15, 2013

In a second, her spirit shattered beyond repair, but her green eyes kept feral and sharp. She never expected the time she dreaded would actually come. She saw it clearly coming, but only right before it happened. Everything went dark. Her eyes opened, weak and bleary, unaware of where she was. She found herself carried by the arms and her feet dragging along the cold, moist tile. Her captors wanted to carry her in a different manner, but she blatantly refused. Dragging became the only option.

“Let go of me, you barbarians,” she calmly said.

“Not until we get to your room,” one man spat.

“I did not permit you to speak, imbecile.”

“Whatever you say,” the other man sighed.

“You will rue the day I have my revenge on you all. Do not underestimate the power I possess for you mere mortals will not be able to handle it.”

“Quiet, we’re here,” the first man said.

Her two captors brought her inside and she began struggling to break free from their grasp. They were too strong for her to get free and run for freedom. As soon as they let her go, she resigned to the farthest corner of the room. The two men sighed as the struggle was over.

“You think you’ve won?” Her question froze the air, stopping them from leaving. “You’ll see when I take one of your own for myself. The best of you lowlifes will be mine to control and you will fall to your knees, worshipping me.”

As the eerie tension broke, the men shuddered and left the room. The door locked as she sat in her corner, looking at nothing. A shriek echoed within the four walls. It seeped into the corridor, rousing the silence. Soon curses, laughter, and crying came from the same room, following the shriek. The silence forever destroyed.

***

“Doctor Kramer, you’re late.”

He cringed at the shrill voice as he entered a room. Waiting for him in what appeared to be a reception area was a short, petite woman who had auburn hair up in a bun. She eyed the doctor in disapproval.

“Good morning Darla, has the conference started?”

“Is the sky blue? You better hustle unless you want the big guy to turn your day into something unthinkable,” Darla said as she led the doctor to a room. He walked in as quiet and as undetected as he could.

“Sean, it’s nice of you to join us.”

“I apologize, Marcus.”

Sean sat on the nearest chair at the oval table with seven other doctors. Marcus stood before everyone as his pale skin looked even paler bathed in the sunlight. He was the most revered psychiatrist and head consultant in Riverside Psychiatric Hospital.

“Now that our youngest doctor has arrived, we can finally start.” Sean sighed as their superior began to discuss the week’s patient line up and hospital agenda. He barely registered any of the information Marcus said except for who of his patients were still there. He was, as Marcus said, the youngest doctor hired as a consultant in the hospital. After a year of working there, Sean garnered a great reputation of being able to rehabilitate even the most difficult patients.

The Riverside Psychiatric Hospital was the leading mental health institute in California. The psychiatric hospital was an extension of Gateways Hospital and Mental Health Center, only ten minutes away. They had to put a new hospital to accommodate a better treating environment for the more difficult patients.