A Family at Last (I Am the Highway)

I am not your autumn moon
I am the night

We prowl the Boardwalk, like the lions of the Serengeti. Our prey walks on two legs instead of four but is just as oblivious to us. Families on vacation; local teenagers who've come to escape their parents' gaze and have fun. Transients, staying long enough to find another ride down South to the concrete jungle of Los Angeles.

All are equal in our eyes. All pulse with life, with blood. Everything we need to survive on.

Sometimes I don't think the others take it as serious as I do. This... being this is a gift. It's not just for fun; it's not just to stay young forever. It was not given so we can own the town, like greedy kings.

It was given so we might be a family.

Friends and liars don't wait for me
I'll get on all by myself

We are a family. Much like the sovereign heads of foreign countries, we were installed to govern and rule Santa Carla proper and its citizens. Our judgment is law, and our justice is swift. We take care of our servants and they serve us by giving their lives.

We're deserving of such loyalty, such sacrifice, right?

I am not your blowing wind
I am the lightning

I think Marko understands. When I talk about our jobs, our importance in the food chain of life, he listens intently. Dwayne does sometimes; it's hard to tell a lot of the time what he thinks of his new 'life'. Paul... What can I say? Paul loves the benefits.

Star is reluctant and holds Laddie back in her arms. It's only a matter of waiting. I have time on my side. She'll see the light, if you pardon the expression.

No one would ever suspect us. We're too young looking and though we're considered troublemakers no one would ever peg us for a murderous bunch of vampires. We're just 'wild kids', as Max loves to say.

Who need a real mother.

Long and weary my road has been

Max brought up his plan to me a few nights ago. He wants to find a woman who can be a mother to us, guide and nurture us, 'like all boys should have.' He doesn't think Star is fit for the role, and I'll admit he's probably right. I just think Max's lonely.

I was lonely, before the Boys. I suppose it's only fair to Max.

Just don't call Thorn 'Nana'.