Father Visit

"You're going to be gone for two weeks?!?" Arthur yelled at his manservant, a weary look on his face.

"Yes, Arthur, I am," Merlin stated sharply, fixing the bed, Gwen's maid, Nila, helping him. "I haven't seen my father and mother in a about a month. I'm going to spend my time catching up with them. You'll just have to have someone else be your manservant for the week."

"The only servant that could take Merlin's place for the next two weeks is George," Gwen stated simply, braiding her hair. 

"No, definitely not," Arthur said, shaking his head wildly. "I would not be able to handle George's brass jokes for two weeks!"

Merlin laughed, and made his way over to Arthur. "Well, you're going to have to handle them."

"Please Merlin, let me come with you!" Arthur literally begged.

"You never say please," Merlin said, raising an eyebrow. "You must really be desperate."

Gwen and Nila giggled, and Arthur's face stoned over.

"N-No, I'm not," Arthur said, trying to regain his pride. "It's just that you'll need protection."

"Arthur, Merlin can protect himself," Gwen said, smiling at her husband.

"Besides, I'm not going alone," Merlin said. "I'm taking Freya with me. Also, Arthur, you're the king. You need to stay here."

With a nod to Nila, a wave to Gwen, and a smile to Arthur, Merlin left the three of them. Arthur sighed, and plopped himself onto his chair.

"Stupid George and his stupid brass jokes," Arthur muttered to himself.

 ***

Five days after Merlin and Freya left Camelot, Merlin saw the familiar roofs of his home, Ealdor. Smiling, they ran towards the village and towards Hunith's house. Arriving at the door, Merlin knocked excitedly. 

"Coming!"

The door opened to see Hunith holding a basket of something, smiling wide when she saw the two of them.

"Merlin! Freya!" Hunith said, her smile huge. "Come in! There are some people who want to see you."

Looking at each other, they followed Hunith into the house.

"Welcome home, Merlin," Balinor greeted his son from the table he was sitting at. "Hello, Freya."

"Merlin! Freya!"

Will and his wife, Tonia, sat across from Balinor, and greeted Merlin and Freya.

Soon, everyone was seated at the table and chatting the night away.

"I'm surprised that Arthur let you leave for two weeks," Will stated to Merlin.

"It did take some convincing from his wife to let me come," Merlin laughed. "I guess King Prat doesn't want let me out of his sight for a long time."

Balinor let out a small chuckle, and Will and Merlin joined in.

"Merlin, I'm surprised that you didn't take Arthur's offer to be Court Sorcerer," Hunith spoke up.

"Well, I guess I'm just used to being Arthur's manservant," Merlin shrugged. "Besides, I couldn't leave him with George and his brass jokes."

"And yet you did for two weeks," Tonia laughed, making Merlin smile.

Everyone laughed at this, and soon finished their meal in a peaceful silence.

***

The moon was high in the sky as Merlin and Balinor walked through the village. Most of the village was already asleep, so their walk was peaceful. 

"How's Aithusa?" Merlin finally asked as they rounded a corner.

"See for yourself," Balinor replied with a smile.

Just as they rounded the corner, they came across the white dragon sleeping soundly on the ground. It wore a jeweled necklace, a gift from Morgana. Merlin smiled at the dragon, and soon he and Balinor continued their walk.

"I am glad that Arthur became king," Balinor spoke up, earning a glance from Merlin. "Because of him I am able to live in peace with your mother."

"Arthur is a fair and just king," Merlin said, smiling.

"I don't suppose that you have something to do with that?" Balinor asked, looking at his son. 

"Well, I guess I did help him make some decisions," Merlin laughed. "And it looks like it turned out great."

Balinor gave his son one last smile before they entered their home. Arthur had decided to supply them with some cabinets, extra silverware, and beds when he found out about the conditions they slept in. Balinor slipped into the bed he shared with Hunith, while Merlin slipped into the bed he shared with Freya. In just a few minutes, both father and son had fallen into a deep sleep.

***

The next few days flew by and soon enough it was time for Merlin and Freya to head back to Camelot. After saying their goodbyes, the two of them set off on the long journey to Camelot. Five days later, they arrived at the gates of Camelot. Leon and Lancelot passed by them, greeting them with a warm smile as they walked up the steps of the castle. 

"Well, I better go check on Arthur," Merlin stated.

"And I better go check on Morgana," Freya stated.

Both of them hurried off in opposite directions towards their masters' rooms. Merlin opened the door to Arthur's chambers, and stifled a laugh. Gwen was sitting on the bed, her head in her hands wearily as Nila braided her hair with a bored expression. Arthur was sitting at his desk, wearily looking over some papers, an annoyed look on his face. George was standing in front of them all, telling them non-stop jokes about brass. Arthur looked up, and, spotting Merlin in the doorway, his eyes lit up. George was about to say another joke before Arthur interrupted him. 

"Thank you, George, for your services these past two weeks," Arthur interrupted. "But my original manservant is back from his little vacation. So, you can go back to you other job."

Arthur took George by the shoulders, steered him out into the hallway, and shut his door. Merlin looked at him, a goofy grin on his face, and received a glare back. 

"So, how was it?" Merlin asked cautiously.

"I've been stuck with George for two weeks," Arthur replied through gritted teeth. "How do you think I felt?"

"He has to be the most annoying servant that I ever had to work side by side with," Nila sighed, finishing up Gwen's braid.

"He certainly is very annoying," Gwen agreed. "Glad you're back Merlin."

"I couldn't leave His Royal Pratness with George," Merlin replied, still grinning. "He would miss me too much."

"True," Arthur smiled back mischievously. "I wouldn't have a good practice target."

Arthur rose, and began to walk towards Merlin, holding a goblet. Merlin's smiled faded as his eyes glowed gold. The rug Arthur was standing on slipped out from underneath him, causing him to fall. This made Gwen and Nila start laughing. An angered Arthur jumped up, goblet still in hand.

"You used magic! That's not fair!" Arthur yelled at Merlin.

Merlin sensed Arthur's anger, and took off, Arthur on his heels. Gwen and Nila soon heard Merlin cry out as something hit him.

"YOU ARSE!" Merlin's voice cried out through the castle hallways. 

Gwen and Nila shook their heads, knowing that Merlin and Arthur will never change their ways.