Chapter 18 The game has begun

Harry

The wind on the top of the hill was indeed a powerful force, it whistled aggressively as an angry man would when wishing to seem amiable. The dark was thick and sinister, but through it all, the Riddle House stood out and was really the only thing to fear. The two aurors exchanged a single glance of reassurance for the other, then they made their way forwards to the entrance. Harry opened the door without a sound, he and Ron slipped in and shut the heavy oak door. The sounds of heavy breathing reverberated through the hollow halls, the inhabitants sounded as though they were asleep. Harry motioned for Ron to follow and they snuck along the halls to the source of the noise. Before Harry could enter, Ron stopped him.

"What are you doing?" Ron whispered, "we can't just walk in."

"They're asleep," Harry replied, "what choice do we have?"

"So we're just going to walk in? That's bloody mental, that is."

"Yeah, well, who said I was sane?" Harry challenged, before raising his wand and pushing the door open a crack; the masked men lay asleep on the floor and Mrs Figg was tied to a chair, her head drooping in her unconscious state. Harry darted across the room to her and her head snapped up, a look of pure terror shone in her eyes and she began to struggle.

"Mrs Figg, it's me, it's Harry." Harry whispered desperately, "I'm going to get you out of here-"

His consolations were cut off as Mrs Figg let out a terrible scream.

The reaction was instant, the masked men jumped to their feet and fumbled for their wands, Ron managed to stun a few before they were fully aware of the situation. Harry disarmed two that had managed to extract their wands from their robes.

"Stupefy!" Harry bellowed, blasting one back into the wall, where he crumpled against it.

Ron shouted out disarming and stunning spells, taking out as many men as he could, when he got hit himself and dropped like a fly.

Fury and hatred boiled Harry's blood and his anger drove him to fight. With only two left to disarm, he fought harshly.

"What's going to happen?" Sneered the smaller man, "when Harry's gone? And his pretty wife too? What's going to happen to James? And that poor baby on the way, it's going to die along with its mummy and daddy. If mummy can't live long enough to deliver, then baby can't live."

Spikes of rage were driven through Harry's heart, "you. Will. Never. Hurt. My. Family!" And suddenly, an explosion burst from Harry's wand. He had not even thought of any spell, it was like the wand was acting of its own accord. The two men flew backwards and crashed into the shelves, which toppled down on them. Harry sent a quick talking patronus to the ministry, then ran to check if Ron was all right.

"Rennervate," he muttered, and Ron's eyes fluttered open. Harry helped the red head to his feet and dusted him down, "are you OK?" Harry asked.

"Yeah-"

Ron was interrupted by the arrival of a group of aurors. Mrs Figg was still. Harry approached her and shook her gently to awake the old woman. As soon as Mrs Figg saw him, she screamed and writhed like he was causing her unendurable pain.

"Get away!" She shrieked, "don't hurt me! Not again!"

Harry stumbled back, all eyes on him, everyone silently demanding an answer as to what was going on. But he had no answer. No brilliant solution. He was confused. The group of aurors took Mrs Figg and disapparated. Ron clapped Harry on the shoulder and said, "never mind, mate, she's probably just in shock." Then, they too twisted on the spot and vanished.