Chapter 20 Hunted

Hermione

It was about six AM when she saw the news. Patch (Harry and Ginny's owl) fluttered through the slightly ajar window and landed on the table, clutching the prophet in his beak. Hermione fed him some owl treats and he flew onto the very top of the cupboards, where he hooted contently. Hermione unfolded the paper, and in big, bold lettering, the title of the very first page read:
DRACO MALFOY, MISSING

Being the only one left who still believed that Draco was on their side, the bushy haired woman felt compelled to read the rest of the article:

'Draco Malfoy, son to Death Eater, Lucius Malfoy, has been reported missing from his manor at ten PM last night. Ministry officials believe he was kidnapped, signs of a struggle have been reported. If anyone has any information on the whereabouts of Draco Malfoy, they should contact the auror office as soon as possible.'

Hermione set the paper down in shock, signs of a struggle had to be something to do with Voldemort. Unless...
Hermione vanished with a crack, then reappeared outside Malfoy Manor.

The manor was still and empty, blood dripped from the ceiling and the upholstery looked like ten rabid cats had been released on it. The further information said exactly one pint of blood had been found. Wouldn't that strike one as an odd amount? EXACTLY one point of blood? What are the odds of that? Hermione clutched her wand and tentatively pushed the living room door open. Everything was ripped apart, except for a black chair which looked to be made out of the same material as Draco's suit. Hermione rolled her eyes.
What. An. Idiot.

"Draco," Hermione laughed slightly, "I know that's you."

Right before her eyes, the hair transformed into the tall, pale, blonde figure of Draco Malfoy.

"How'd you know?" He asked.

Hermione raised her eyebrows, "exactly one pint of blood, you should know better. That, and the chair you were just portraying was the only thing not damaged -hardly difficult."

Draco rolled his eyes, "you're too clever."

"Simply logical."

The blonde stuck his tongue out and crossed his arms like a child.

"You're such a baby," Hermione teased.

Draco grinned slightly, "only you, Granger, only you would have the nerve to call me that and know you can get away with it."

"And only you, Malfoy, would address me by my second name when I annoy you." She suddenly stopped laughing, remembering why she was there, "so why are you hiding?"

Draco rubbed his hands on his face, "I faked a deal with Ginny and know...he...knows."

"Voldemort?"

Draco nodded.

"Well, come on," Hermione said impatiently, "pack your stuff!"

"What?" Draco's mouth dropped, "Ron'll never let me stay after what happened, you know that."

"Pack your damn stuff, I'll talk to Ron, he knows all about double agent stuff. Get going, we don't have much time!"

Draco quickly obliged.

Ginny

Except for Ron (who was asleep) and Kreacher (who was making coffee), the house was completely empty. Harry still wasn't back and reports said that he wasn't going to be back any time soon. The Quibbler stated that he was innocent and Luna was doing everything she could to look after Ginny, whom she apparently thought had an excessive case of wrackspurts.

"He'll be out soon," Luna said, "it's only a matter of time before people realise the interrogators are really part of the rot-fang conspiracy."

Ginny looked at her friend in surprise, "the what?"

Luna nodded sombrely, "oh yes, vampires. They're planning to bring the Ministry down by combining vampires and gum disease."

Ginny held back a laugh, really, it was worth having Luna over just for this. "Oh," she nodded like she believed her friend, "that's terrible."

"Yes, daddy's tries to warn them," Luna sighed dreamily, "but they said he was mad."

Luna was a bit mad, yes, but she was also excellent at picking up on emotions or thoughts, so Ginny thought it best to quickly change the subject.

"Er, so how's things with you and Neville?"

Luna smiled, "it's going well, I think," she lowered her voice, "I think he's going to propose."

Ginny grinned from ear to ear, "really?! That's wonderful!"

"We've talked about it, I told him I didn't need a ring, or a proposal and that I would just marry him if he wanted. But he said he wanted it done properly."

"Well, that's sweet of him," Ginny said, "so when do you think he will?"

Luna's bright, orb eyes glistened, "we're going out to dinner tonight, so perhaps then."

"I wish you the best of luck."

Their happy conversation was interrupted by Hermione and Draco, both wearing grave expressions. Ginny got to her feet as quickly as her swollen, pregnant belly would allow.

"What is it?" She asked, searching Hermione's face.

A tear slid down Hermione's face, "Andromeda Tonks is dead."

Something felt like it was falling away from Ginny, crashing through the earth. Andromeda Tonks was dead. The last living relative of Teddy Lupin. He had lost his family at no more than three. Harry would be crushed when he found out.

"How do you know?" Ginny tried to regulate her shaking voice.

Hermione blinked back tears, "I went to visit her, to put aside the rumours about Harry...when I got there, her house was wrecked and an auror was holding Teddy, he told me what happened."

Ginny sank down onto the bench.

"Ginny, I'm sorry," Hermione whispered.

Ginny shook her head, "no it's fine, what could you do?"

"You're right," Hermione sighed, "I was completely helpless."

Ginny felt a hand on the small of her back, she looked to see Draco staring down at her, there was an unreadable emotion in his eyes. Anger? Sadness? Fear? No...pain? Yes! Yes, pain! Then she remembered that Andromeda had been a relative of Draco's. Without knowing what came over her, Ginny got to her feet and embraced the blonde boy, who hesitated before wrapping his arms around her.

"I'm sorry," Ginny whispered in his ear.

"Yeah, me too," he whispered back.

Ginny had no idea how long they stood like that, but when she let go, Hermione and Luna were both wearing identical expressions of surprise.

"We have to tell Harry," Hermione said decidedly.

They were all about to agree, when a familiar voice from the doorway said, "he already knows."

They all turned to see-

"Harry!" Ginny cried and ran to kiss her husband.

Harry returned the kiss half heartedly, before saying, "she was killed by Voldemort himself."

A collective gasp went round the room.

Hermione asked, "how do you know?"

"I saw it," Harry muttered.

"Saw it?" Draco questioned, "what does that mean?"

Harry jumped, like he had just noticed Draco. His expression hardened and he snarled, "you little arse." He sprang forwards and punched Draco's face.

Another chapter! I am on fire! Hope you lot liked this one, I'm thoroughly enjoying writing this and your lovely comments are what drive me to do this. thanks guys, let me know what you think!