Chapter 9

• Dedicerad till Patrick Troughton - Second Doctor

The lights flickered once more.

The Angel began to advance, growing ever closer, and the Doctors were defenceless. But this time, it only lasted for a few moments. And the Angel had disappeared.

"What the blazes is going on around here?" The ninth Doctor looked around, expecting the Angel to jump out at them at any moment. But none came. All of the Doctors looked around in confusion.

"Well they can't have just gone." said the second Doctor. He gripped onto his flute protectively, as if it was some kind of lucky charm.

"Unless they are here. Some kind of holographic shield?" questioned the fourth Doctor.

"No. We'd know if they were here, they would leave some kind of trace. They're gone. Maybe hiding." said the tenth Doctor.

"In that case," said the second Doctor, flipping his fringe out of his eyes, "we've got to be careful. Very, very, careful. And we must use logic."

"I don't see how logic is going to help now, when we barely know anything about it." said Zoe.

"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables one to be wrong with authority."

"Ok, I don't get that."

"No, neither do I, really. I was just trying to comfort you. Oh well."

"Well, we might as well try logic, even if the one who suggested it is not, perfectly capable of using it." The sixth Doctor glanced over at the second, who lifted his head up reproachfully.

"Ok. We need to think this through. What happened each time an Angel disappeared?" asked the fourth Doctor.

"The lights flickered."

"Yes, like they were draining the electrical power. Anything else?"

"We were always in this room. And they walked past the transmitter." All of the Doctors looked at Zoe strangely as if she were stating the obvious, and unimportant, but then the eighth Doctor gasped with understanding.

"Of course! Why didn't we think of that?"

"Think of what?"

"Well, they're using the transmitter to send radio waves to seventy four years in the future. What if those radio waves aren't just made up images -"

"But themselves!" finished the tenth Doctor. "They used the electrical energy of the lights, and absorbed it so that they were partly made of it. Then they transferred themselves into radio waves, and used the transmitter to take them to Zoe's phone, yes!"

"But why would they do that?" asked the fifth Doctor.

"Well it's quite simple really." said the second Doctor. "Their ship crashed. They have no pilot to fix it. Maybe they can't repair it themselves, or at least, not with the technology here." He looked around at the typewriters and old equipment that surrounded them. "So, if you need new technology, but can't find it, when you can't travel in space -"

"You travel in time." finished the ninth Doctor.

"But what I don't understand, is how they would be able to get out of Zoe's phone again. They'd be trapped, surely?" queried the third Doctor.

"I don't know." said the tenth Doctor. Just then, the wheezing noise could be heard, and a Tardis began to materialise just feet away from them.

"Here we go again." muttered Zoe.

A man bounced out of the Tardis, looking very excited, almost like a five year old would. He wore red braces over his white shirt and a matching bow tie, with a tweed jacket. He was twirling a fez round on his finger.

"Hello everyone! Tardis got a little confused over which time to travel to, 1940 or 2014. Got stuck in the middle, 1977. Lovely time, though those zygons were a bit pesky. Tardis found it difficult to materialise, so it took a while for me to arrive. Am I late?" he said, grinning slightly. Zoe began to snigger, and he looked down at her. "What? Is my bow tie out of place? Oh, don't tell me my hairs messed up!" He ran his fingers through his black quiff, not seeming to notice that all eyes were on him, waiting for him to do something. "Nice bow tie." he said, pointing at the second Doctor, who smiled and twiddle with it happily.

"Yes, I always thought it looked good."

"Yeah, why aren't you all wearing one then, eh? Bow ties are cool."

"And fezzes too?" asked the fifth Doctor, raising an eyebrow.

"Hell yeah! Bow ties are cool, and fezzes are cool! And if you can't cope with that then it's your loss, my friends. Right, where were you?" He rubbed his hands together, ready to get into the action.

"Discussing what to do about the two Weeping Angels who have just time travelled back to 2014." said the sixth Doctor curtly.

"Oh." The Doctor stopped spinning his fez, and chucked it back into the Tardis. He quietly closed the door, then moved into the centre of the group beside Zoe. "So, these two Angels, know anything about them?"

"Are you the eleventh Doctor, Bow Tie?"

"What? Oh, yes, I suppose I am. I like the nickname, though Bow Tie Man would be cooler. I like nicknames."

"You sound like him." The sixth Doctor pointed at the second, who grinned happily, and exchanged a glance with the eleventh Doctor.

"Great minds think alike." said the second Doctor.

"Don't be stupid. The only thing great minds think the same is that they all think differently, that's what makes them great. And that new theories must not be ignored until disproven by others. And that the only way to go about learning is through observation. And - oh, you get the idea! It's mostly stupid minds that think alike. Their head's full of, mumbly jumbly, stuff, that's all the same."

"Anyway, Bow Tie, can we get back to the point of the Weeping Angels?"

"Yes. Ok." His face once more became grave. "Tell me everything you know about these Angels."

The eighth Doctor explained everything, from them being criminals, to the transmitter. The eleventh Doctor's face became grimmer with every sentence. When the eighth Doctor had finished, the eleventh thought for a while, the others waiting expectantly. When he spoke, it was only four words.

"Ok. Back to 2014."