Chapter 12

• Dedicated to Peter Capaldi - Twelfth Doctor

"Come with me."

"What?" Zoe exclaimed.

"Come with me. I can show you the universe, all those amazing places. The wonderful sights, places to see. Purple skies and pink oceans, oh, the things you can view. Things you could never imagine in your wildest dreams!" He began to spin around, looking up at the ceiling, as if he could see everything from it.

"But I can't go. I've got my studies, a family. My life is here."

"But that's the amazing thing. We can go anywhere in the universe, spend as long as we want, and always be back in time for tea. Come on, Zoe!"

Zoe folded her arms. "Tempt me."

"Ok. How would you like to see the rivers of Clomegona? Why, they sparkle like gold dust before your very eyes. They have orange ducks you know. But they're not ducks. They have no feet! Ooh! Or how about the meadows of Krastan? The grass is softer than cotton buds, and the flowers grow taller than skyscrapers! Or how about -"

"Ok, ok. You've got me. I'm coming."

"Brilliant! I'll give you a few minutes to pack up your stuff."

"My stuff?"

"Yeah. Sometimes the Tardis takes a while to reach places. And sometimes I get stuck on those places for weeks."

"Doing what?"

"Saving the world. See you in a few minutes." The Doctor rushed downstairs to his Tardis excitedly, leaving Zoe alone in the corridor. But just as she was about to go to her room, yet another Tardis began to materialise. Had one of the Doctors left something behind? But this one looked older. A lot older. And the man who stepped out was a new face to Zoe.

This Doctor looked older than most of the others, with grey-white hair, and old eyes that stared at Zoe happily. He wore a black Crombie overcoat with a red lining inside.

"Zoe, greetings. Am I at all late? Actually, I must be. I remember."

"You remember everything? With the Weeping Angels?"

"Yes. Vey much so. Are you just about to go off with 'Curly', as I think you called him?"

"Yeah. You remember that too?"

"Of course. And everything else afterwards."

"You mean, he doesn't forget that?"

"Until my previous face, the one with the fez and bow tie, I will forget why I brought you into the Tardis. But I will never forget the amazing times we had."

"Really?"

"Yes. Trust me, Zoe. Wonderful things are coming your way."

"Ok. Cool."

"Anyway, I best be off, before 'Curly' gets back up. Oh, and don't tell him this happened."

"I won't. See you around, Doctor."

The Doctor saluted before going back into his Tardis, which began to de-materialise.

"Well, I don't know what the hell that was about." muttered Zoe as she headed towards her room, ready to pack.

Zoe ran into the Tardis with a small suitcase in her hand, ready to go. She placed all of her stuff down in the bedroom that the Doctor directed her to, then rushed back, ready for an adventure. Then she thought, it would only be her and this Doctor now; she wouldn't have to use her 'assigned nickname' any more.

"Does this mean I have to call you Doctor now?"

"I prefer Curly."

"Doctor it is then." They both smiled as the Doctor controlled the console, and the wheezing noise began once again.

"You know, one day, I might let you fly her, with supervision, of course. Don't want you damaging her."

"I think I'll give it a miss." She grinned to herself as she thought what a wreck she would make of the Tardis. She didn't think they'd become any better friends.

After all, Zoe had never been good with technology.