Chapter 8

Breezepelt looked at the clans that resided by the lake from a hill, he’d been turned into a rogue, cast out of his clan, and for what? He thought, I was trying to make the clans better.

            Now he’d finish what he started, he had been gathering loners and rogues that lived beyond the clans soon they would pay for what they did starting with Windclan and his father.

            “Breezepelt…” A red-brown she cat purred. “Why don’t you come back to camp?”

            “Not now Crimson.”

            “But Claw and Lucky caught more prey.”

            “I’m busy planning, I can hunt later.”

            Breezepelt heard her walk away but didn’t look back, he was looking at a Thunderclan patrol as they marked their border, there was a new cat, an apprentice by the look of him with a pure white pelt that he didn’t recognize. He watched as they scented the air, there wasn’t any wind so Breezepelt knew they wouldn’t find him. When they moved off again he went back to the temporary camp; another part in his plan was coming together.

            “Lucky, Sushi, get over hear.” He commanded.

            The two toms walked over and sat in front of him.

            “What is it?” Lucky, the black and white one, asked.

            “I told you about the clans that live on the other side of that hill right?”

            “Yeah, you want revenge so?”

            “I want to recruit some of the apprentices from the clans so we can have spies, I want you to find them as soon as possible and get them alone.”

            “And then what?” Sushi asked as he licked his cream-colored fur, “Bring them here?”

            “Yes.”

             Stormkit watched as Lilypaw and Seedpaw jumped around practicing their new battle moves.  She saw Tigerkit and Ashkit try to get them to show them some moves but the apprentices just laughed and said they were too young.

            “I can’t believe it, one moon of becoming apprentices and they act like they’re so much better than us!” Tigerkit raged as he came back over.

            “I know, just wait until I’m an apprentice! I’ll show them I can fight better even with less training.” Ashkit spat.

            “Yeah, well I’m going to be the best warrior in the forest!” Manekit boasted as he joined them.

            “Second best, I’m going to-” Softkit let out cough, “Be better than you!”

            She started coughing again and Cinderheart ran out of the nursery, she nudged her kit towards the medicine cats’ den as more coughs wracked her daughter’s body. The others watched in silence their argument forgotten. A few sunrises ago Thornclaw had died when his whitecough had turned to greencough, Graystripe and Hazeltail weren’t getting better ether and the whole clan knew it could only be a matter of time before they passed away to Starclan as well. Millie was always pacing around outside since Leafpool and Jayfeather had told her not to go in, she would occasionally help Brairlight with her exercises but the crippled she cat didn’t seem to need help or like it when one of the kits looked at her in pity.

            Lionblaze came back with his patrol and Snowpaw ran over to the others quickly, Stormkit wanted to hear what they were talking about so she slowly padded up behind them to eavesdrop on their conversation.

            “…There were tons of rogue cats sniffing around the border but we didn’t meet any.” Snowpaw whispered.

            “Do you think they want to attack us?” Seedpaw asked.

            “I don’t know but if they do I’ll rip off their pelts!”

            “I hope we get to fight, I want to use my fighting skills in a real fight.” Amberpaw growled, scoring the ground with her claws.

            “I don’t get why you’re all making a big thing out of this, it’s most likely nothing to worry about.” Dewpaw yawned as he stretched his legs.

            “As if, you’ll see I’m right.” Snowpaw snorted.

            “He’s right.” Berrynose said. “Never just believe there isn’t danger unless you get solid proof at times like this. Leaf-bare can make cats get desperate for food, which mean these rogues might try to attack.”