Chapter 11

Jayfeather walked over to Bramblestar’s den with Dovewing; she had heard the apprentices at the gathering and told him about it. Immediately he had thought of the prophecy and watched the young cats talk without them noticing, they had confirmed his thoughts and he would’ve told his leader when they’d gotten back but the attack had made the thought go to the back of his mind.

            “Bramblestar, I know the cats in the prophecy.” Jayfeather whispered as he walked into the den.

            “Who are they?”

            “Darkpaw, Icepaw, Galepaw, and Stormpaw.” Dovewing spoke. “They were all talking about being born around that time at the gathering.”

            “Have you had anymore dreams?”

            “None. And the ones I get at the moonpool are always the same. Darkness is coming, and with it blood.”  Jayfeather muttered. “I can’t be sure if these cats will save us from it or cause it. The prophecy only says they will change our world.”

            “Keep an eye on them at the gatherings.”

            Bramblestar dismissed them and they went back to their regular duties. Without elders to bury the two dead, Daisy and the kin of them left to bury them. If the killing and betrayals kept up Thunderclan might not survive.

            “Thunderclan might not but Stormclan will…” Jayfeather jerked his head up and saw Eclipseshadow standing in front of him.

            “Am I dreaming?” He asked.

            “Jayfeather who’s this cat?” Dovewing questioned.

            “I am Eclipseshadow. I am older than even rock was, I showed myself because of the prophecy these cats will bring.” She mewed. “And you aren’t dreaming. But you two are the only ones who can see me.”

            “What do you have to tell us?”

            “I already told you. The old clans wont survive but the new ones will.”

            “What new ones? The are only four real clans here!” Jayfeather snapped.

            “They will come.”

            Stormpaw was on border patrol with Tigerpaw and their mentors, Brightheart, Lionblaze, and Ivypool had also gone with them. They were following a scent trail left by the rogues along their territory, so far they hadn’t seen any sign of a cat or that they were hunting for prey.

            “They must be looking for weak points.” Ivypool commented.

            “What weak points? We defend this border day and night now.” Tigerpaw muttered.

            “Maybe they want to tire us out so we can’t fight.” Brightheart suggested.

            “Well it wont work.” Blossomfall hissed.

            None of them noticed Icecloud tree lengths ahead as she raced after a fresh scent trail, or at least not until she yowled in pain. More rogues came from the bushes, some the size of new apprentices. They attacked the patrol without mercy, Icecloud ran back limping as three gray-blue she cats clawed at her flank. A silver blur made Stormpaw whirl around and she came face to face with one of the smaller cats, the silver tom hissed at her and ducked under her paw swipe. He rammed into her neck and she reared back only for a larger silver-white she-cat to pin her to the ground, Stormpaw went limp like Icecloud had taught her but the rogues kept tearing at her spine. The weight was lifted off and she looked up to see her brother claw the she-cat in the face, blinding her, they ran off deeper into Thunderclan territory and Blossomfall chased after them.

            “Go warn the camp!” Ivypool yowled to Brightheart.

            The half blind cat ran off while the remaining cats in the patrol went after they seven invaders. Half way back into the trees they were ambushed, Seedfur jumped from a tree while the other rogues leapt from bushes. Stormpaw ended up fighting with her mentor against a black and white tom and a black tom. Both were the size of new apprentices but were fighting like warriors. More Thunderclan warriors arrived and the cats in Eclipseclan backed off.

            “We must retreat for now!” A yellow tabbie yowled.

            The other cats ran after him and the Thunderclan cats watched as they charged back into the grass and trees beyond their border.

            “Someone help me carry Icecloud’s body.” Cloudtail ordered.

            Stormpaw glanced at her mentor’s limp form in shock and went over to help Dewfrost and Cloudtail carry her. When they got to camp they found Daisy’s body lying in the center of camp. Cloudtail gently laid Icecloud’s beside the other she-cat and padded over to Bramblestar’s den.

            “She died of her wounds during the night. Manepaw found her in the nursery when he went to clean out the bedding.” Ashpaw told them.

             As the news of the attack and Icecloud’s death went around camp Dustpelt joined Spiderleg, Foxleap, and Birchfall at his daughter’s body. There would be two more graves for them to dig at sunrise. Stormpaw looked up from her mentor’s body as Bramblestar jumped to the highledge.

            “Let all cats gather her now!” Bramblestar yowled, ignoring the usual call for a meeting. “Icecloud has been killed by Breezepelt’s group of cats. He will keep terrorizing the clans until we deal with him. But first Stormpaw, you will need a new mentor. Foxleap will finish your training.”

            The senior warriors followed Bramblestar into his den while the others, minus Icecloud and Daisy’s kin, went back to hunting and checking the back border again. Stormpaw laid by her old mentor’s body wishing she’d been able to stop the attack. She’d been fighting right beside her, how could she not have been able to save her?

(The cats in the prophecy look like the one's in the title pick... sorry if this was pointing out something obvious.)