49

// Evelyn //

My fingers tremble as they rest on the smooth keyboard of Reed's laptop, their tips repeatedly smoothing over the sticky note placed on the left-hand corner, covered in his untidy handwriting, reading it over. 

The password is "REEDISAWESOME12". Remember that I was twelve years old, so don't judge too harshly.

Hallie's email - hal.bishop@hrvdlaw.edu

Call me if you need anything; don't miss me too much.

I laugh ever-so-slightly, stroking Scout between the ears as I carefully type in the password, and then pull up the email inbox.

"Should I be doing this?" I ask the dog, but he only swipes a lick over my knuckles, tail twitching enthusiastically. Releasing a breath, I begin to write.

To: hal.bishop@hrvdlaw.edu

From: itsreedbish@jerseyhigh.net

Subject: Hi

Hey Hallie,

My name's Evelyn; I'm pretty sure Reed has told you about me before. I'm the one staying in your house. I know you're a lawyer, and Reed was telling me about how great you are, and I've been thinking about my situation for awhile.

I don't know what you'd call it in lawyer-speak, but basically, I was nearly strangled to death at a party by a drunk guy who's always hated me.

And I don't really know what to do about it, but if I were to take this to the law, what steps would I have to take? Could you help me with some of them?

I don't really know what I'm trying to achieve here, to be honest. I think I just want to forget about the whole thing, and I thought maybe you'd just want to listen and help out.

If not, that's totally okay, too.

Thanks,

Evelyn Moore

P.S. Your brother has the most unfortunate email name ever.

I send the message before I can give myself the chance to overanalyze and pick away at it, releasing a breath and deciding to distract myself by getting up to do some chores around the house—wiping down already-spotless counters, throwing out a few discarded coffee cups—but not even ten minutes have passed when Reed's computer lights up with a new notification.

I move to the screen, clicking open the inbox and reading Hallie's reply.

To: itsreedbish@jerseyhigh.net

From: hal.bishop@hrvdlaw.edu

Subject: RE: "Hi"

Evelyn,

First off, I'm really glad you decided to reach out to me. Ever since Reed told me what happened, I've been really worried for you. I'm so sorry things had to go the way they did.

Secondly, it would be my absolute pleasure to help you out in any way possible. If you are considering taking this to the law, you need to know a few things.

1) This particular instance would be considered a case of assault, and a rather violent one. In the state of New Jersey, it is typically punished with community service, several fines, but hardly ever jail time. If the case is severe enough, there may also be rehab options.