Chapter 12: Surprises

Josh's P.O.V:

"You guys have done this too often to me." I said, walking towards the head of the group of friends. "You're all pretty weak, you know that?" I looked him straight in the eyes. "Picking on one guy with a group of friends to back you up? I don't have any body guards to protect me, like you do."

His face tensed up and he was speechless, so I saw his arm swing round towards my face. If you have no words, then violence is the next best thing, right?

I caught his hand mid air and punched him on the side of his head as hard as I could. He dropped to the floor and two of his other friends ran, whilst one stayed.

He just stood directly in front of me in silence for a few seconds, before he spoke up.

"That's my little brother." He pointed to the man I had just punched and was now bleeding from the nose, unconscious.

My breathing hitched and I froze. How would I feel if someone beat up Jordan? I stumbled back and realised what I had just done. I let them win, I resorted to violence. While I was absorbed in thought I felt a foot kick my shin really hard.

"Idiot." He spat. "Ugly."

I stumbled until I fell to the ground. He started to kick my sides repeatedly, so much the pain numbed my whole body entirely.

"What are you doing here all alone?"

"Loner."

"Useless." He kept on chucking shallow insults at me.

"Your girlfriend seems to have put on a few pounds."

I picked myself up, and suddenly all I heard were my own thoughts. No one can insult her. This piece of shit. Anger burst through me entirely and shot a kick to his ribs to immediately wipe that smirk off of his face. He fell straight to the ground and I punched his cheek with all I had. I crouched down beside him and pounded my fist into his face once. Twice. Three times. I briskly stood up, regretting nothing.

"Don't you ever throw shade at her." I smiled to myself, picked up my cap from the floor and walked towards the car park. I opened the car door and greeted (y/n).

"You took forever, Jishwa." She turned her head to face me and alarm spread across her beautiful facial features. "Oh my god! What happened?" Tyler and Jenna looked at me in surprise. I put my hand to my forehead and looked at it. There was some blood. I must have hit my head when I fell.

"Oh, it was nothing." I smirked. This was the beginning of me defeating my demons.

~

I don't know why but ever since Josh came out of KFC he's seemed way more confident than usual. I feel so happy for him.  I was now sitting at home with Tyler eating a healthy dinner (his parents cooked) when I got a phone call from Josh. It was 9pm.

"Hey, is it okay if you come over? The rest of my family are out of the house... they went to see Abby perform in some play. I said I was feeling sick because I seriously didn't want to watch a 2 hour showing of Of Mice and Men."

"Josh! She's your sister!" I laughed through the phone.

"Exactly, so she should understand that I don't want to see her play Curley's Wife." He chuckled. "But anyway, I have a surprise."

"Yeah sure! I can't wait." I smiled and then realised he couldn't see me.

"Cool. See ya in ten." He shouted and I heard rustling in the background until I hung up.

I told Tyler and left the house.

On the way over it began to snow, and the light was a dark color as the end of dusk was approaching. I took in a deep breath and appreciated the beauty that the suburbs of Columbus had to offer. It was December now, and days were flying by. Josh and I have been together for about six months now. Wait a second... Isn't today the 16th? I took out my phone and pressed the home button to check. December 16th, 9:08pm.

Shit! It's our anniversary today! I need to get him something. I ran over to the nearest Walmart, (which isn't that far) and began to run through the massive store.

What can I get? This shop is so huge - I can't actually find anything. After around ten minutes I picked up a grey NASA shirt. I don't think he has one like this, and it's only five bucks. I threw in a Red Bull too. It's better than nothing?

When I finally reached his house, I checked my reflection in the window. I didn't actually look too bad for once. I rung the doorbell and I could hear it echo through the house inside.

"Hey, babe." He said to me as he swung the door open. He smelt of peppermint and he was chewing gum.

"Did you just call me babe?" I smiled like an idiot and I couldn't stop. I was trying to hide the fact that I liked it so much. It's strange how much of an impact he has on me.

"Yeah, I did." He said, grinning at me. "Do you know why I invited you here?" He asked, raising his eyebrows. I stepped inside and sat down in the sofa in the living room. I could feel my nose warm up and I knew that my cheeks were rosy. He slumped down next to me and put his hand subconsciously on my leg.

"Course. It's our six month anniversary." I informed, acting like I had known all along. He was smiling but I kissed him on the lips anyway, and it tasted minty.

"Happy anniversary." I gave him his NASA shirt and the Red Bull as he started laughing. A warm pink color spread across his cheeks. He pushed a strand of yellow hair from his face as it fell directly over his eyes. His yellow hair had kinda washed out to make a blonde-ish shade. It really suited him.

"That... and something else. Follow me." He took my hand gently and lead me down to the basement. He opened the door and I immediately gasped.

He had taken down all the band posters and hung up white fairy lights. The lights were dimmed to a low setting and he had made a tent out of a couple of blankets and chairs, like we all did as kids.

Underneath there were pillows and soft toys everywhere, the TV had been tilted to face the opening of the tent so we could watch it inside, and there was a table lined with snacks and drinks.

"Happy anniversary, (y/n)," He kept a hold of my hand as he walked over to the stereo and {a nice song} began playing. It was like something out of a film, all happening out so perfectly.

This man.

I was lucky to have met him, let alone date him. I cupped his face in my hands and tilted his head so we were looking each other right in the eyes. I couldn't help but start to cry. Tears of joy, obviously. I was laughing through my sudden tears. My life has come so far. I didn't deserve Joshua Dun. I didn't deserve someone who spent hours and hours preparing the perfect space to spend his 6 month anniversary with me, making sure we were home alone to give us time and privacy. I couldn't believe it. He loved me. He loves me.

But yes, I did deserve this. I have been through so much, WE have been through so much. Together. So we have the right to love each other and be there for each other.

Just because it is young love doesn't make it any less meaningful than a 90 year old couple's love. Because if I could I would spend everyday from now leading up to my ninety year old birthday with him.

And looking him in the eyes right now I knew he felt exactly the same way.

~ ~ ~

(A/N: thanks for reading, everyone. It means a lot. I love you all, and til next time, bye!)

stay alive |-/